What you'll do
As Lead Software Engineer within our core Architecture and Engineering team, you will provide expertise to help delivery teams become stronger and more productive, and to help ensure both the quality of code produced and the level of effective code reuse across projects.
You will participate in code reviews for the various delivery teams, to ensure we continue to produce high quality, maintainable code with appropriate documentation (the expectation is self-documenting code, with comments by exception). You will help ensure teams are following best practice, automating this where possible so that the right thing to do also becomes the easiest thing to do. You will lead the development and publishing of shared software components and libraries to accelerate the delivery of our projects, and contribute to the definition of the SDLC and the SPW view of best practice in software engineering.
As part of a core "SWAT" engineering team you will be involved in the initial development groundwork for in-house developed applications while teams are formed and allocated. You may be pulled in to help correct the course of projects or help get them over the line on occasion. You will be proactive in identifying opportunities for and means of code reuse (whether that is functional code, infrastructure as code, or other pieces of code).
We believe in an open and collaborative working environment, and we want you to draw upon your experience to help establish this culture across our delivery teams, whilst ensuring we apply appropriate governance to our projects. What we're looking for
- You have a strong background in full-stack software engineering, in which you demonstrated an eagerness to expand your set of skills and learn new technologies.
- You can clearly articulate what good looks like in software engineering, and describe how you help teams achieve it. You identify opportunities for improvement, in technology, tooling, quality control, and process, and execute on these.
- You retain hands on engineering skills in some or all of our core technical stack: TypeScript/ Node.js/ React/ Kubernetes/ AWS.
- You are comfortable engaging and collaborating directly with UX designers using tools like inVision, Sketch and Storybook. You are able to translate their vision into code, and understand that in UX, details matter.
- You are pro-active in shipping product and responding positively to feedback from both stakeholders and customers. Ideally you have experience of customer driven product evolution and A/ B testing.
- You take accountability for the quality of your own deliverables, shifting quality control left, and using automation to test quality at every stage of the SDLC.
- You have an understanding of the opportunities of cloud computing and how to use it well.
- You have worked on public-facing systems, and understand how to build them to be secure, scalable and resilient.
- Humble: you acknowledge your strengths, and also your weaknesses; you work for more than your own personal glory.
- Curious: you follow the latest technology developments, and explore ways they can be adopted.
- Creative: you think beyond the obvious.
- Thorough: you consider the full-picture, and understand that details can matter.
- Calm: you're positive under pressure and happy to take the lead in challenging times.
Work in a way that works for you
When it comes to flexible working, we'll do our best to accommodate your needs with our flexible working policy. Please enquire in your interview.
Location is flexible but you will be expected to work from our offices in London or Leeds when necessary.
You belong here Schroders Personal Wealth is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications regardless of sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious belief, socio-economic background, educational background, or age. Our ethos is to provide equal opportunities to all, and to ensure we represent the communities we serve.
What we'll give you
We offer a competitive total reward package, which means you share in the success you help create.
- Market leading defined contribution pension scheme.
- An additional 4% of your annual salary in a Flexible benefits package that you can select and pay for conveniently via a salary deduction or take as cash.
- 25 days holiday allowance plus bank holidays.
- Incentive scheme, based on the company's performance and your contribution to it
Schroders Personal Wealth combines Lloyds Banking Group's significant customer base, multi-channel distribution and digital capabilities with Schroders' investment and wealth management expertise and technology capabilities.
Our focus is on the personal relationship we develop with our customers, underpinned by our multi-channel customer reach and our global investment expertise. Our aim is to become a top UK financial planning business within five years.
Does this sound like a role that you'd like to know more about? If like us, you're more motivated by customers than by targets, and you'd thrive in a culture that is values and client led - come and talk to us.