Boat Master for the Anderton Boat Lift in Northwich
2 x seasonal roles
Start date: immediate/asap
End date: 31st Oct 2021
12 hours per week (working any 2 out of 7 days on a rota basis, weekend and bank holiday working will be required)
Working at the Anderton Boat Lift Visitor Centre, the role's primary duty is the safe operation of our 56-seater passenger trip boat. In addition, potentially working in a shop, catering or generally at the site as needed. Delivering excellent service through live commentaries and activities to a variety of audiences, the execution of boating obligations, including boat maintenance and training exercises, to provide an exceptional environment for customers to enjoy, the upselling of commercial products and maintenance of the site when required.
* Responsible for the overall safety of customers during boarding, passage and alighting. Ensure the operation of the boat to required timetables/ rostas, in accordance with operating procedures. Undertake briefings to customers. Complete required logs and reports. Lead emergency response if required. Report incidents, undertake risk assessment processes.
* Undertake required operating processes/ checks, routine or minor maintenance within area of competence. Maintain required logs. Ensure day to day fit for purpose of the craft, identify and report faults.
* Provide excellent service to Canal & River Trust customers at our visitor attraction. Participate in the theatre of the trip - make presentations to customers and other activities as required. Be flexible in working practices working in retail, a coffee shop or generally at the site if needed for the good running of the site. Assist in a range of tasks, at specific events provide backup to office based functions if required.
* Adopt approriate safety standards on board. Brief customers using safety procedures to required standard.
* Work with volunteers and new employees being a role model/ mentor for them to assist the person acquiring the necessary understanding of the role requirements, ensuring that they enjoy their experience with the Trust.
* Displaying the Trust values and behaviours at all times
* Ensuring that diversity and inclusion are integrated into all aspects of Trust life and promoting inclusion by challenging behaviour, practices, actions, or decisions that are counter to the objectives of the Trust's policies and values
Skills & Qualifications
* Maths and English GCSE (or equivalent) ESSENTIAL
* Boat Masters Licence Grade 3 ESSENTIAL
* Passenger Carrying Vehicle Licence if role requires ESSENTIAL
* Proven experience in the operation of a trip boat or workboat ESSENTIAL
* Competency based training for specific tasks/ roles/ use of equipment ESSENTIAL
* Ability to command a boat and lead people. ESSENTIAL
* Judgement and initiative in the delivery of safety evacuations and training exercises ESSENTIAL
* Ability to communicate with a diverse range of people to pass safety critical information concisely as well as informative/ promotional information. ESSENTIAL
* Customer Service training qualification - Welcome Host or other equivalent DESIRABLE