Substantive Research, an established FinTech startup, with a mission to become a globally trusted and authoritative source of data for all investors and asset managers making investment research decisions, is now looking for an experienced PHP Web Developer to join our team in Edinburgh. Our clients are many of the world's leading asset managers and our bi-annual, industry leading conference, Unbundled Uncovered is at the centre of our clients' global community.
As a PHP Web Developer, you will join our growing team, designing and building client-facing products to provide visually engaging insights into the pricing, valuation and discovery of financial research. We use modern agile methodologies and product management techniques, in a fast paced and dynamic environment. In 2021 alone, we've rolled out a new client-facing digital dashboard, developed and visualised new models of client and externally sourced data and released a new Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) supplier comparison site. You will have opportunities to take full ownership of these and new products and features and to see them make a difference.
Our tech team is Edinburgh-based and our commercial teams are in London and in the US. We are highly collaborative and there will be opportunities to work closely with non-technical team members and to interact with clients.
Our tech stack comprises a Laravel backend, Vue.js frontend and cloud-managed MySQL, with Python and Java used for ETL and experimental machine learning models.
Reporting to the CTO, the main responsibilities will be to:
* Develop and operate all Laravel and Vue.js based client products, using agile and data-driven methodologies
* Support the development of internal tooling, including external and customer data ingestion and processing
* Collaborate closely with the commercial side of the business, to understand our customers' wants and needs and to provide data and tooling for the data scientists and content editors
* Help shape the future of the technical platform, using appropriate technologies and techniques to address scale, latency, quality, security and functional needs
What we are looking for:
* Commercial development experience in an Agile environment
* Hands-on software development responsibility throughout all phases of the product lifecycle
* A demonstrable track record in the development and delivery of multiple web applications, touching a large variety of systems and technologies
* Experience working with relational databases such as MySQL
* An independent, self-motivated and collaborative team player
* Eligibility to live and work in Scotland, with access to the central Edinburgh office
* Experience working with Python
* A good understanding of software engineering processes and methodologies
What we'll give you:
* Ownership and creative freedom on interesting projects
* A competitive salary depending on experience
* 25 days holiday plus UK public holidays
* Company pension contribution
* Learning and development budget for books, conferences and courses
* Flexible working hours and ability to work from a mix of home and office
Sounds interesting? Click APPLY to send your CV for immediate consideration.