About the role:
We have an exciting opportunity for an ambitious newly ACCA/ ACA qualified candidate to join our busy finance team. This role is ideal for someone coming out of audit (or with 1-2 years post-qualified experience) looking for their first role as a Financial Accountant.
The Financial Accountant sits within the Finance Centre of Expertise, initially focused specifically on the Octopus Inheritance Tax Services (OITS) product. The OITS portfolio has over £2bn assets under management across impactful sectors such as renewable energy, healthcare operations and ultra-fast fibre optic broadband. We're looking for enthusiastic and high potential candidates who will be excited at being able to contribute to the success of these areas.
The overall Finance team has around 60 people working across a diverse number of business areas. This role will offer terrific career development opportunities and Octopus is committed to helping people reach their potential through internal moves, mentoring and training.
What will you be doing?
* Take full financial control ownership of a group of companies.
* Work with the investment managers and other teams both within Octopus and externally, ensuring that Finance play a leading role in the seamless management of the funds.
* Support the investment team on new acquisitions and/or disposals within the relevant portfolios.
* Work collaboratively with the investment managers and other internal teams to ensure a thorough understanding of the entities and deliver value-adding management reporting and other required information.
* Manage preparation of consolidated management accounts, MI reporting and VAT returns across the relevant entities.
* Prepare all necessary returns to comply with FCA and other regulations.
* Manage the budget, audit and interim/annual report processes across the relevant entities, ensuring adherence to the annual timetable.
* Ensure company books and records are appropriately updated for transactions information, and year-end audit adjustments are reflected in the accounts and records swiftly and accurately.
* Manage cashflows within the relevant entities, including the preparation of workings for distributions and/or capital reductions.
* Be the key point of contact for any technical queries on these entities.
* Prepare technical papers for internal stakeholders and/or auditors as required.
* Ensure that they are continually up to date on current relevant tax legislation.
* Critically review all existing processes. Suggest, and where relevant implement, enhance processes to drive efficiency throughout the team.
* Ensure that robust processes are embedded by taking a lead on the delivery of automation of information to reduce the reliance on spreadsheets and manual inputs, for both internal and external data requests