BI Business Analyst
Business Unit - Corporate Services
Here at Babcock International, we are seeking a BI / MI Analyst to work as part of a high performing team working with ERP systems.
As a BI / MI Analyst you will discover, delve into, analyse important data, and determine how best to use it to direct the decisions of the future. Building strong relationships with end users is key, enabling them to get the most out of our Data, BI and Analytic solutions.
This BI / MI Analyst will analyse the scale and impact of the business change from the perspective of people, process, technology and data.
You will use your investigative nature and problem solving skills to understand how data and technology drives business forward and you will innovate new ways that enable competitive advantage by understanding the masses of information.
* Support high-quality reporting and analytical solutions across the group using the Babcock Corporate toolsets.
* Provide guidance across the stakeholder community and work with the rest of the Information & Insight team to ensure all solutions are fit for purpose, deliver business value and benefit from corporate programmes.
* Exceed customer expectations through the delivery of consistent, well-documented and supportable BI solutions.
* Use data analysis and modelling techniques to develop and maintain data structures to support business solutions, ensuring adherence to corporate data standards and provide advice and guidance to developers
* Undertake design of complex Data Warehouse and BI solutions, utilising appropriate tools to produce effective appropriate design documentation - for example, data flows, process diagrams,. Ensure design maps to user requirements and balances functional, service quality and maintenance requirements
* Use the application of methods to identify user experience to ensure user friendly processes - user characteristics and tasks and the technical, organisational and physical environment that they operate in
* Provide support to the Project Manager in liaising with Product owners and key stakeholder. Can take responsibility for the project management of small-medium complexity software projects following PMO guidelines and/or act as the Product Owner as part of some Agile based delivery projects.
Major Tasks and Activities
* Work with IT and business stakeholders to identify and define the business problem and business case be able to express the context of the change within the business strategy and BI Roadmap
* Elicit, analyse, validate, consolidate and prioritise the high-level business requirements across a broad range of functional areas using appropriate requirements definition techniques (Including both traditional Waterfall and increasingly Agile based techniques)
* Communicate the requirements using appropriate documentation and modelling techniques, ideally aligned with an Agile methodology
* Collect and validate the non-functional requirements, including performance, implementation design, usability, security & audit, and appropriate legislative requirements
* Coordinate the definition, evaluation and agreement of the business solution options in collaboration with the other members of the Information and Insight team
* Lead the refinement of the requirements and business solution definition, including acceptance criteria working closely with the key stakeholders
* Support Business Intelligence solutions using the following technologies: SAP BI/BW and Microsoft BI
What do I need to do the role?
* Information systems related Degree or strong BA experience ideally within a large organisation
* Strong commercial BI analysis experience in a fast-paced environment
* Experience of Agile Business Analysis and working as part of Agile based DW/BI delivery projects
* ISEB/BCS Business Analysis Certification is a plus
* Broad knowledge of business functional areas particularly Procurement & Supply Chain, Finance, O&D but also Projects, CRM, MRO & ETO
Technical & Specialist Knowledge
* Experience in developing DW/BI solutions for SAP and non-SAP environments
* Familiar with Microsoft SQL / SSRS / SSIS / MS BI / SAP Business Objects / SAP BW
* Significant experience of gathering and documenting high quality business requirements, interacting with product owners/business stakeholders/ through workshops, interviews & meetings, and written communication
* Proven experience of working closely with business stakeholders and IT teams to deliver robust and efficient solutions
* Good understanding of Data Warehousing, ODS, Data-Marts and OLAP concepts and designs
* Understanding of Big Data concepts
* Understanding of the concepts pertaining to dimensional modelling, Data Warehousing techniques, methodologies, and Data modelling tools
* Good understanding of SQL
Key Behavioural Competencies
* Ability to understand decisions that need to be made by the product/business owners to deliver reports and dashboards that inform and trigger business decisions
* Committed to excellence in everything you do with a real desire to deliver quality service to customers at all times
* Flexible, hard-working and thorough
* Well-developed communication and presentation skills
* Aptitude to work collaboratively across IT and non-IT departments
* Ability to effectively communicate and influence others
* Experience of working in technical teams with large enterprise class systems
* Must be able to follow agreed processes and make suggestions for improvements
* Commercially aware
* Good creative thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
* Willingness to undertake reasonable travel for work