Title and team
Senior Internal Audit ManagerTPR Grade
R&O 6 - PrincipalReporting to
Head of Internal Audit Directorate
Strategy and RiskContract
From £53,777 - £71,387 per annum dependent on skills and experience, with access to performance related pay, bonus and civil service pension schemeClosing date
25th July 2021About us
The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is responsible for protecting workplace pensions in the UK. We work with employers and those running pensions to help people save safely for their retirement.
We have a fantastic office located in the heart of Brighton that is a short distance from the train station, shops and the sea.
We put our 800+ employees first by supporting flexible working and offering a diverse, lively and inclusive environment. This includes LGBT+ Network (PROUD), Women's Network, BAME Network (ME), and a Disability Network, which offer supportive spaces to connect.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work. We do all we can to support our people reach their full potential with training, secondment and development opportunities.Role
We are looking for an experienced Senior Internal Audit Manager to support the Head of Internal Audit (HIA) to build an inhouse internal audit function to provide independent and impartial assurance to The Pensions Regulator (TPR).
The Internal Audit (IA) function has existed since the appointment of the HIA in January 2021; previous IA activity having been outsourced and delivered by a firm. Although much of the framework has now been designed and put in place, the role of the Senior Internal Audit Manager will be to support the creation and embedding of new IA policies and processes and deputise for the HIA when necessary.
You will lead a team of four to five Internal Auditors, with responsibility for a range of audits and assignments, calling on help from a firm where capacity or expertise doesn't exist within the team.Responsibilities
Essential and Desirable CriteriaEssential - Qualification
- Report to the Head of Internal Audit, but also apply guidance from the Executive Director of Strategy & Risk;
- Through supportive and positive leadership, support the building and development of an Internal Audit function with the necessary resources, capabilities and expertise to deliver a solid annual internal audit opinion;
- Produce well balanced plans for Internal Audit activity for the approval of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee;
- Deliver formal reports to the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee and present findings at committee meetings;
- Using high quality reporting and communication skills, effectively and productively engage with senior management including Senior Leadership Team, Executive Committee, Board and Audit and Risk Assurance Committee.
- Deliver independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve an organisation's operations.
- Support TPR in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
Either (one of the following):
Essential - Experience
- Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors UK & Ireland - must hold the chartered auditor/CMIIA designation or the MIIA designation where you are qualified under the previous exam route and did not apply to make this chartered. If you have passed all of the CMIIA/MIIA exams but do not hold the designation, you are not eligible to apply.
- Other Institutes of Internal Auditors that are part of IIA Global. If you studied with the Institute of Internal Auditors in another country, you must hold the equivalent of the MIIA designation. You should verify this with the IIA UK & Ireland prior to submitting your application, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. No other level of internal audit qualifications will meet the requirements of this post.
- Accountancy, fully qualified, current member of one of five CCAB bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland or CIMA).
- Proven, extensive audit expertise (5+ years) at a senior level, engaging effectively with senior stakeholders to support the identification and management of key risks and to promote effective governance, risk management, control and assurance arrangements;
- Understanding and extensive experience applying Public Sector Internal Audit Standards and, mandatory elements of the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF) of the Global Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA);
- Experience auditing in an environment of substantial change with respect to both the core operating model and IT systems;
- Deliver robust, evidence-based, independent assurance opinions in accordance with the agreed timetable. Support the Head of Internal Audit in providing an opinion on the system of internal control. Lead continuous improvement activities to improve audit practices, products and service.
- Ensure the whole team is compliant with professional standards and compliance with TPR's Internal Audit methodology.
- Lead very high risk or complex audit assignments.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial and operational risks and controls in a government context, ability to identify weaknesses therein and to develop practical and effective solutions;
- Lead people to manage, recognise and reward good performance; promote personal and professional development; nurture and manage talent. Act promptly on feedback and issues. Promote equality and diversity.
- Experience of auditing in a regulator;
- Experience of auditing in a pensions environment.
Salary and benefits
- Can do approach
- Ability to prioritise and use initiative
- Negotiating skills
- Communication skills at all levels
- Leadership skills
As well as a salary between £53,777 and £71,387, we offer:
How to apply
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world;
- discretionary bonus arrangements;
- access to performance related pay progression;
- 25 days annual leave provision;
- flexible working arrangements;
- development opportunities;
- enhanced parental leave arrangements;
- a free employee assistance programme;
- an excellent office location in Brighton.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, quoting ref 101268
, containing 750 words setting out how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria to email@example.com.
Candidates successful at the sift stage will be sent a scenario in advance of their interview so they can deliver a five minute presentation to the panel.
We are an inclusive employer and offer equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual's age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Applications will be considered on a part time and job share basis.
Please be aware we are currently holding interviews through Skype due to COVID-19.
If you have any queries about this role, or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org