Do you have significant public policy experience and are looking for a meaningful and rewarding role, at the heart of Government?
We are recruiting for the role of Director General, International Finance. This is a high profile and politically sensitive role in the senior leadership team of HM Treasury.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide inspirational and transparent leadership, not only to the immediate International Group, but also to the department as a whole. We are looking for an outstanding leader with extensive senior management experience, strong representational skills and a demonstrable track record working on international issues in a public policy setting.
Key accountabilities will be to:
- Lead all aspects of HMT's engagement and provide expert advice to Ministers on UK-EU agreements, UK trade policy, international economic policy and financial sanctions
- Build relationships with finance ministries, central banks and international institutions, representing the UK in discussions, often deputising for the Chancellor - drawing on a strong public policy background on international matters, from senior experience working either in government or for a multilateral global organisation such as the OECD, IMF, or other recognised international institution.
- Lead HM Treasury's relationship with No 10, the Cabinet Office and Whitehall on international issues including representing HMT at the National Security Council deputies (NSC(O)).
- Take collective responsibility for the management and support of the Treasury's people, leading and delivering on corporate priorities, for example by being the champion for specific corporate objectives, or leading on the delivery of workstreams of the Department's Improvement Plan.
- Set a vision and direction for the Department; engaging our people; developing their capability; promoting diversity and inclusion; and managing a culture of high performance.
Benefits of working for HM Treasury include:
- 25 days' annual leave (rising to 30 after 5 years), plus 8 public holidays and the Queen's birthday (unless you have a legacy arrangement as an existing Civil Servant)
- Flexible working patterns and job-shares
- A generous Defined Benefit pension scheme with employer contributions. Find out more about Civil Service pensions
- Onsite restaurant and coffee bar. The London office also offers a gym, showers and prayer room
- Access to a cycle-to-work salary sacrifice scheme, season ticket advances, payroll giving and a retail discounts and cashback site
HM Treasury has a strong commitment to equality and diversity. Our aim is to be an open and inclusive department, recruiting and retaining diverse, talented and high-performing people who support and develop one another.
HM Treasury is a Disability Confident Leader. This means we've been recognised as an employer which is confident and leading the way in recruiting and retaining staff with disabilities. We will offer an interview to any applicants with a disability who have indicated they wish to take part in the disability confident scheme, provided they meet the essential criteria for the post set out in the person specification. If you need any reasonable adjustments to take part in the selection process, please tell us about this in your online application form.
Our recruitment process is underpinned by the principle of recruitment based on fair and open competition with decisions made on the basis of merit, as outlined in the Civil Service Commissioners' Recruitment Principles. If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with these principles and you wish to make a complaint, you should in the first instance contact HMT by email: email@example.com. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you can contact the Civil Service Commission, which regulates all Civil Service recruitment.