Mechanical Design Engineer Salary:
Dependent on experience Location:
We are expanding our team and are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated Mechanical Engineer to work with us to deliver innovative design solutions for the marine renewable industry. Ideally, the successful candidate will have relevant experience of mechanical design and analysis, be confident in using design software and desirably have worked in the marine energy or offshore sector.
Quoceant are a small but growing, independent engineering consultancy based in Edinburgh. We specialise in marine energy and work on novel and inventive technology development for clients and inhouse. Our projects range from concept design to detailed engineering, support for build, qualification testing and supporting marine operations. Our clients include a range of commercial companies operating in the tidal, wave and offshore wind, and from the public and academic sectors. We go beyond the typical consultancy service with our fresh informed approach to cross-discipline innovation, detailed design & analysis, and cost-effective implementation. We are looking for someone who can work easily as part of a team on dynamic and fast-moving projects.
We are committed to equal opportunity and to a culture that respects difference. This post is advertised at full-time, but we are open to taking the right candidate at part-time hours should this be better suited to you. Please indicate your working hours preference on your application.Key Tasks:
- Mechanical and systems design and analysis at concept and detailed level.
- Drafting of engineering drawings suitable for fabrication.
- Working in a supervised environment, ensuring that the technical content of all work carried out is correct, of a high quality, and completed in accordance with the relevant design standards, to agreed timescales and budgets.
- Be able to work in close collaboration with other team members across different disciplines, and have an appreciation of their roles but, where necessary, be capable of working on your own initiative with appropriate supervision.
- Ensuring that all work is carried out is in full compliance with the Company's quality management procedures and current H&S legislation requirements.
- Report to the appropriate project leader/manager on technical issues and progress associated with project work.
- Where required attend and/or lead project meetings with the client or project partners.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- Have a strong understanding of mechanical engineering design principles;
- Confident and efficient using 3D design software packages (SolidWorks preferred);
- Good technical and analytical skills;
- Practical and theoretical experience of mechanical or systems design;
- Excellent problem-solving capability, and ability to find quick, innovative and practical solutions to engineering challenges.
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplined design or manufacturing environment;
- Knowledge or experience of working in the marine environment (e.g. offshore, renewables, oil & gas, naval architecture).
- Experience of Finite Element Analysis (Abaqus preferred)
- Experience of numerical modelling and simulation
- Experience of delivering engineering projects and associated management requirements;
- Working towards chartership with an accredited engineering institute.
- Ability to communicate in a fluent and positive manner with other team members;
- Good technical report writing, and ability to produce concise design documents;
- Ability to work on own initiative and but know when to seek assistance;
- Able to work collaboratively with others to form strong positive working relationships with colleagues, clients and contractors;
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure that timescales are met;
- Ability to be adaptable in approach to work and problem-solving;
- A passion for engineering and innovation.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter. We respectfully request no speculative calls or CVs from agencies.
- 37.5hours per week, (part-time working considered)
- Work will be based predominantly in our Leith office with some flexibility for part-time at home working and an occasional need to travel to support build and test operations.
- Salary dependent on skills and experience.
- Quoceant offer 33 days holiday per annum, life insurance, sick pay insurance, pension contribution, cycle to work scheme.