DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP is the UK's largest government department. We make payments worth over £195bn a year to support some of the most vulnerable people in our society. We deliver products and services that are used by millions of people in the UK, every day and at key moments in their lives.
We are looking for a talented Lead Software Engineer to join our DWP Digital team. You'll have the chance to work on some the UK's largest and most complex digital projects. We use leading edge tech and thinking to create innovative, scalable and user-centric digital solutions to uniquely challenging problems.
You and your teams will create web applications and UI software solutions that will improve DWP services for millions of UK citizens.Development. Work. People.
You're working as Lead Software Engineer or ready to make that move - that means you have a depth of knowledge in web application/UI and a breadth of knowledge across the entire software development lifecycle.
You'll have the technical skills to work with our engineering leaders and set the direction for our practice and our people. You'll work together to ensure usability, accessibility, security, stability and capacity are embedded in the development of services used by millions of people.
You'll shape how we do things here, identifying the tech and tools we should be using. You'll also shape careers, building talent pathways and recruiting great new people to our teams.
You'll be able to offer technical support and guidance in every aspect of our projects, designing and implementing robust development strategies. You'll create and lead teams as they develop software solutions on a scale, and with a purpose, unique to DWP.
You're a leader - you know how to communicate with software engineers and get the best out of people. And you're an advocate for software craft and best practice - you'll be able to talk software with stakeholders within DWP, and outside the organisation.
We don't get the chance to advertise many Lead Software Engineer roles, so we're really looking forward to hearing from you and what you can add to our team.What skills, knowledge and experience will you need?
Details. Wages. Perks.
- Demonstrable experience shaping and driving technical direction and strategy.
- Broad experience across a wide range of technologies and development methodologies.
- Proven Leadership ability.
- Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure.
- A good understanding of TDD and BDD.
- SQL and no-SQL database applications such as Post-gres, MySQL, and MongoDB.
- Containerisation - tools such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- The skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures.
You'll join us in your choice of our brilliant digital hubs in either Manchester, Leeds or Sheffield.
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £72,933 a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%, and a generous leave package starting at 25 days.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application.
- Working in a way that works for you with flexible working, flexi hours and flexi days off
- Family friendly policies
- Time off volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your authentic self to work with 'I Can Be Me in DWP'
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket
- Sports and social activities
- Working in an award winning environment and culture
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.