Who we are
Gear4music is the largest retailer of musical instruments and equipment in the UK. Launched in 2003, we're a fast-growing company - with sales climbing from £12M to £120M in just a few years. We're not stopping there, and we need you to help us continue our growth. Who we really are
We really care about people. We want you to grow with us in an open and supportive environment. We want to hear your ideas and for you to be yourself in an atmosphere that embraces people's individual personalities.
We pride ourselves on our culture, and try to offer something more meaningful than token beanbags and a PS5 you don't have time to play. We've got important things covered, like having properly trained mental health first aiders, as well as silly things like our #geese Slack channel. There's plenty to get involved in, from movie nights to a Dungeons & Dragons club.
We're techy to the core, with technical leaders through to board level. We pride ourselves on our flat structure where directors sit in with the teams and are there when you need them. We encourage open and honest feedback, even if you're critiquing your boss.
We normally work from our offices in central Manchester, but most people are working remotely at the moment due to Coronavirus. For those that need to get out of the house, we're set up to let people work in a COVID-secure environment. Who we're not
What we do
- We won't sell you a job based on gimmicks. We know you don't want to hear how "unique" this opportunity is.
- We're not an agency. You can do your best work here, in a team who recognise that quality matters.
- We don't ask you to work longer hours than you're paid for. We encourage a healthy work-life balance.
- We won't make you get involved in things you're not into. If this month's board game social doesn't strike the right chord, no worries.
Gear4music sell musical instruments and equipment online. Offering over 55,000 products from hundreds of manufacturers. We sell to over 190 countries, in 15 languages and 9 currencies, shipping with a range of couriers from multiple hubs in different countries.
Our technology team build and maintain the platform that makes it all possible. You might work on new user-facing website features, our order processing systems, large-scale architecture reworks or integrating new couriers.Who are you
We're looking for great DevOps Engineers, who are excited about working in a collaborative environment. You are a motivated, flexible and talented engineer who is enthusiastic about learning new things and challenging themselves.
You're not a lone ranger but believe in a joined up and friendly work environment that delivers real projects. You're someone who takes pride in the things you do and likes to see things from beginning to end. You love the attention to detail and might even say it could be a strength and a weakness. You will champion new technologies when it's right for the business.
You'll also need some personality. You'll get bonus points if you've got strong GIF-game, and we'd love to know what you're into (even if you're really passionate about a specific brand of water.) We want to hear all your ideas and we want you to tell us what you think.What we're looking for
You'll be working with our software engineering, architecture and testing teams to create a stable platform, enabling:
- Scalable and resilient applications
- Effective software development
- Safe, easy & reliable releases (working towards CI/CD)
- Testing, QA
We want to work with like-minded people who set high standards for themselves and the work that they produce. We'd love it if you were passionate about continuous integration, profiling, unit testing or documentation (or all of the above.)
You'll need to be comfortable working with:
- Being capable of planning and managing your workload to suit multiple project deadlines.
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other team members.
- Cloud-based Linux environments: Google Cloud Platform, some AWS
- Containerisation & Virtualisation: Docker, Kubernetes, AppEngine
- Scalable and complex distributed systems
- Infrastructure as code with Ansible and Terraform
- Web servers: Apache & Nginx
- MySQL, Percona - including HA configuration & replication
- NoSQL & Search (Datastore, Elasticsearch/Lucene)
- Memcache, Queueing systems, Pub/Sub technologies
- Build & deployment tools: GitHub, Composer, Travis, PHPUnit
- Performance optimisation: xhprof, xdebug, cloud traces, Stackdriver
- An API ecosystem, using OAuth, HMAC, JSON over HTTPS
- DNS & associated domain management
- Networking & HTTP fundamentals
- A solid understanding of security, awareness of DoS & DDoS scenarios
- Monitoring, statistics & metrics
Don't worry if you can't tick all of these boxes! If you did, you might be exaggerating. We'd like to hear from you if this sounds like the kind of tech stack you're used to working with.What we'll give you
Other than the benefit of working with such a great bunch of people, we also really value your wellbeing and want to help you get the best out of your work and your free time. We'll make sure you have clear objectives and a tailored personal progression plan.
Plus all the usual things you'd expect:
- Great pay, which is never late.
- A 'go home' culture. No one is expecting you to work longer than your hours.
- A personal career development plan and regular one to ones.
- Twice yearly pay reviews.
- A Mac or Linux laptop, and your IDE of choice
- Health Assured Employee Assistance Programme, helping you to manage personal issues at work and at home.
- A great discount scheme.
- A super generous employee referral scheme.
- Flexible working hours and no dress code.
- Employer pension scheme.
- Eyecare vouchers.
- Cycle to work scheme.