Description** This can be a fully remote role based anywhere in the United Kingdom, or from our London HQ **
Streetbees is building the world's first platform to understand human behaviour and decision making. We make human data accessible, anywhere in the world, by connecting brands with real people on the ground to gather real-time in-the-moment insights at scale. We distil this data using machine learning technology to uncover not just what they do, but also why they do it, and what drives them - and predicts what they may do next.
Having recently raised our Series B investment led by Lakestar, Streetbees' partners with world leading brands across the FMCG, Media and Entertainment, Retail & Insurance sectors and our clients include Unilever, PepsiCo, Sony Pictures, Carlsberg, Santander, Ikea, Vodafone and L'Oreal.
As a Ruby Software Engineer you'll be able to clearly see your impact in what we deliver day-to-day to our clients and our users. You'll be part of an engineering culture that welcomes participation and discussion at all levels. We work with some of the largest companies in the world and our user numbers are growing exponentially month over month.Here's some of the projects you'll be able to work on:
Responsibilities / Skills
- A Ruby backed API that servers millions of requests per month to our bee community;
- Internal tools built with Ruby on Rails that support the management and processing of our data;
- Non-web environments such as ETL processes built with Ruby and Sidekiq to support the client dashboards deployment process;
- React based Single Page Applications that render complex data visualizations using tools like D3.js;
- Small internal services where you can learn about new technologies. This includes an on-demand chart generator written in Go and a notification service built with Elixir.
- From crowdsourced data collection, to image/video processing and visualisation, you'll be working on some interesting technical challenges.
- You will be helping us scale our systems as we increase the data collection streams.
- You'll be joining an experienced and friendly team of engineers, building a new generation of research and data analysis tools.
Nice to haves
- You have a strong understanding of Ruby and Rails.
- You have a solid understanding of object-oriented programming/
- You have good knowledge of relational databases. We use PostgresSQL.
- You write tested code - from acceptance tests to unit tests.
- You have the ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system.
- You have a huge drive to get something shipped.
- You have business level of English
- Experience with non-Rails frameworks like Sinatra or Hanami.
- Experience with building and designing GraphQL APIs.
- Knowledge of the React ecosystem. It is a big part of our frontend.
- Knowledge of other technologies we are currently using: Kafka, ElasticSearch, Redis, Docker, Elixir, Node and Go
- A 24-day paid holiday allowance with the option to roll over up to 3 days per year
- Option to choose between a Mac or a PC (we will send this out via courier a few days before you join!)
- Flexible working hours - we trust people to manage their time and to focus on wider results; We now operate on a rota basis so people have access to the office when they desire some social interaction with their team or, simply, a break from home. We have taken every precaution to keep COVID-19 secure. The health and safety of our team is of the utmost importance.
- A pension scheme - our new pension scheme means that Streetbees will start paying a percentage of your salary towards your pension.
- The Streetbees Lifestyle Committee - any employee will have the opportunity to plan and manage a variety of Streetbees funded socials and activities for the team. Socials and day outs can involve anything from rock climbing or bowling to company meals or pub crawls.
- Friday Lunch - We all come together for lunch every Friday with a different cuisine each week, paid by the company. Vegetarian and vegan options always provided.
- Office Food - Breakfast is on us every morning and if you need a coffee or a snack at any point throughout the day, please be our guest.
- Friday Catch-ups - Beers, wine, soft drinks and snacks provided as we celebrate the week's successes and welcome newcomers.
- Paid volunteering days - one day per quarter with a registered charity of your choice.
- Audible subscriptions - the company is more than happy to pay for audio-books subscriptions of your choice on Amazon as we encourage wider and continued learning among our team.
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Yoga - We have Yoga every Tuesday at 6:30pm, both in the office and live on Zoom so you can join in anywhere you like.
- Free drinks in the office!