Who are Crayside Consulting?
Why we are looking for this role?
- When we set out in 2014 our mission was to create a business that could offer something different to our clients - Design solutions that were buildable and offered true value for money!
- We do this by empowering our team and our carefully selected group of clients with best-in-class consultancy, design output and client experience, specialising in MEP, Civils and Structures, Environmental and Sustainability Surveying services across all sectors of property and construction industries, with a particular focus in rail.
- We work alongside architects, developers, end users, designers and contractors on new build and refurbishment projects, including Twickenham Station (Part of Solum Regeneration Scheme) and Various Access for All (AFA) Schemes across the rail network, including Selhurst, Crawley, Cousldon South.
- We have a reputation with our clients for our responsiveness, pragmatic approach and high quality design output which underpins our continuing growth.
- We pride ourselves on being a small close knit team, that is refreshingly different to work with than many large corporates and firms. We're friendly, flexible, dynamic in our approach and there's a family feel to the business.
Main Job Purpose:
- Growing from our founding team of 2 in 2014 to 23 people in just 6 years, we are looking at how we can continue our accelerating growth with talented people that we can build our team around. On the Civil & Structural side of the business we have plans to scale from 5 to 12 this year and these roles are an important part of this scale up.
- Our Civil & Structural Senior Engineer will be a driving force in helping take our business forward. With a focus on growth and quality design output, we need someone who is driven by an aim to deliver remarkable results, and is highly organised and practical and has a great eye for detail.
- Working with our team of Engineers and Directors you will be supporting our next stage of growth, mentoring and developing the graduates and growing in your role as a Consultant and Engineer.
- Our Senior Engineers are ultimately on a path to develop into and manage portfolios of projects, and if it aligns with your goals, the opportunity is there to develop into a leader to build and manage your own team.
- To support the Engineering Team in all project activities.
- Owning the project detail and being a client and 3rd party supplier liaison where you develop excellent relationships to bring teams and projects together.
- Help develop our standards, quality & outputs that we produce as a team.
- Produce high quality output and detail of drawings, where design assurance is embedded into what you do.
- Enable the wider team to take on more business and pursue more opportunities as part of future expansion.
Competencies important to success in the role;
- To create accurate 2D CAD drawings using AutoCAD/Microstation (Bentley) and 3D models using Revit (3D CAD)/AecoSim (Bentley) software in accordance with Industry standards and company processes.
- To run clash detection and spatial planning.
- To organise and attend site to undertake civil/structural surveys, coordinating third party input as required.
- To prepare and present designs, reports, calculations and specifications, including all necessary associated design assurance processes and documentation, i.e. Railway, highways, Local Authority and other infrastructure sectors.
- To support implementation of technical standards.
- To support the company to be compliant with health and safety, quality and environmental requirements, following legislation, standards, quality assurance and company administration policies and procedures.
- To support the development of company CAD standards and processes, in multidisciplinary environment
- To support the development of company Specifications and other technical standards/documentation.
- Travel and work flexible hours, particularly in the rail environment where night and weekend working may be necessary.
- To provide support as requested for RISQS and ISO.
- To attain the highest levels of health and safety awareness and fully understand and implement the duties of the Designer under the CDM Regulations.
- To interface with clients and other disciplines (including M&E, SISS, Architecture, Track and Signals), attending and as required, key meetings, and in particular IDC/IDR type rail meetings.
- To report design progress and any significant challenges to the management team so we can manage the situation and support in finding the best solution.
Our ideal candidate will have experience of;
- Civil/structural engineering assessment and design using industry standard software applications, i.e. ROBOT, and hand calculations.
- Developing designs from first principles, where necessary.
- Experience of preparing Specifications.
- Familiarity with UK & Eurocodes design standards.
- Proficient with the use of AutoCAD and experience with Microstation (desirable) to create base models and drawings.
- Awareness of working in a BIM environment.
- Developing designs from concept through to delivery. Awareness of Autodesk AEC software suites e.g. Civils 3D (including drainage), ReCAP, Vehicle tracking.
- Good technical understanding of Civils and Structural engineering for different sectors.
- Understanding of good building practices and interdisciplinary design through all stages of the design process.
- Technical knowledge in civil and structural engineering design.
- Report and specification writing to a high level.
- Preparation and checking of structural calculations.
- 3+ years of relevant experience.
- Civils / Structural engineering background.
- Experience working on a mixture of projects in a variety of sectors i.e. Transportation, Commercial, Retail, Industrial, etc.
- HNC/HND in relevant engineering sector.
- Working towards appropriate professional status, i.e. EngTech, AMICE, AMIStruct.
Basingstoke, (Hampshire), West Kingsdown (Kent), Basingstoke, Poole Job Type:
£45,000.00 to £55,000.00 /yearGreat benefits package;
- Life and medical insurance
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule (core hours 10am to 4pm)
- Growing additional leave (extra 1 day after two years and a further day after three up to a maximum of 25 days)
- Use of the pool car
- Discretionary bonus
- Wellness programmes
- Store discounts
- Exposure to a variety of sectors, disciplines, opportunities and clients
- Active support in career development and professional accreditation
- Opportunity to lead civils and structural discipline on projects and overall project leadership if desired
- Opportunities for career progression
- Collaborative, friendly and dynamic team working environment