At Cookpad we are growing our Search team. The team's focus is delivering a world-leading and joined-up search experience to solve real problems for our diverse global community.
As a Senior Python Engineer in our team you'll have a unique opportunity to join us at an exciting phase of development, working at the cutting edge alongside talented and supportive team members. You'll help build our next-generation search platform, leveraging your skills to design, develop, test, and deploy sustainable and beautiful web APIs, machine learning inference services, and data processing pipelines.
You'll be comfortable working with systems at Cookpad scale and will be able to get to grips with combining vast quantities of our real-time data with domain-leading machine learning, while keeping your focus on delivering positive impact into real people's lives across the globe.
A typical day as in this role might include any of the following:
Who you are:
- Implement a new experimental variation on our Search algorithm to test an idea, evaluating it quickly (maybe offline, maybe online) being prepared to fail fast, learn and rethink.
- Implement a change in system architecture to improve an onerous or error prone area of development, subsequently helping the team make the most of the change.
- Hook up a new machine learning model to further enrich our understanding of users' queries.
- Explore the performance of a particular API endpoint to further improve response times while still ensuring results are hyper-relevant for every user.
- Refactor a section of code to fix the flaky test that seems to intermittently fail (especially when you want to release something new and exciting to production!).
- Review another team member's pull request, offering "must", "should", "could", and "would" guidance that finds the sweet spot between delivery and improvement.
- Add a step to CI to automate an element of code review, freeing team time to spend on other development work.
- You have substantial experience of working in a software team delivering features at pace as a team effort.
- You love writing software using Python. You deliver tested, reliable, and maintainable software, leaving beautiful clean code behind that other developers want to work with.
- You typically prefer working on backend engineering problems, including contributing to projects such as building web APIs, data processing pipelines, and project tooling.
- You'll have experience of, or are excited to learn about, some of the other technologies we apply at Cookpad such as FastAPI, Faust, Elasticsearch and maybe AWS, Terraform, Docker, and Kubernetes too (but don't let not having any of these stop you applying, especially if you have something else exciting or valuable to bring!).
- You are passionate about continuous integration and delivery, and apply these principles when building software, striving to put your work in the end-user's hands quickly and often.
- You'll want to have a hand not only in deciding how our software is built, but in understanding who it's being built for and why they need our help (because this helps you deliver better solutions).
You'll be excited to mix your own skills with those of our other team members covering areas as diverse as product management, user experience design, infrastructure, data science, information retrieval, natural language processing, machine learning and more.
Over time, as your knowledge of our stack, of our users and of our team grows, you may find you spend more time collaborating with others to imagine great solutions that one person cannot build alone, or you may continue to focus on being a head-down developer contributing to these kinds of solutions. Either way we'll work with you to find the path that's right for you and that maximises the impact you can have on our mission.About Cookpad
Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It's a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 4 million recipes have been created by people in more than 70 countries.
Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. We believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook. Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier and connects us with our friends and family. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives in an environment that is more sustainable. That's how we want to impact the world.
Cookpad is one of Japan's best known tech companies, listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and was already highly successful before launching globally in 2013. With strong backing we have spent the last few years building the global platform and we are now in our commercialisation phase of the business.
Take a look at our Medium blog to see what it is like to work at Cookpad: https://medium.com/cookpadteam
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.