Altmetric is looking for a Technical Support Engineer to join its growing support and implementations team. We're after someone who is detail-oriented, skilled at explaining complex information simply and keen to help our customers make the most out of their access to our products and data.About Altmetric
Altmetric is a technology company dedicated to helping researchers and those who support them better track, understand and demonstrate the reach and influence of their work. Our customers include some of the world's largest universities, scholarly publishers, research funders, and pharmaceutical companies.About The Role
As a result of Altmetric's continuously growing user base and the increasing interest from customers to make direct use of our data and API, we have established a brand new role in the team Technical Support Engineer.
As the primary point of contact for complex customer queries, you'll work closely with the existing Customer Support Manager, partner with the Product Development teams to resolve customer issues, and be a subject-matter expert in technical customer conversations.
Whether you're digging into a sticky issue, talking a customer through their technical options, or working with the team to spec out new internal tools, you'll need to be proactive about delivering timely and expert service, and have a great eye for detail.
The location for this role is flexible, and the successful candidate could choose to work remotely, or from one of our offices in London, Iași or Boston.Your key tasks will include
- Answering technical support tickets, performing an initial issue diagnosis, and liaising with the relevant Product Managers to report and resolve technical issues
- Providing technical support to the sales teams, e.g. joining calls to review potential implementations, conduct data reviews and assist customers in understanding API use cases and integration options in their existing platforms
- Performing user acceptance testing (UAT) for customer data implementations, publisher content tracking, and related bug fixes
- Spotting trends in technical support issues and working with Product Development to identify long-term solutions or improvements
- Acting as stakeholder for internal tooling improvements, ensuring the needs of the customer support team are represented
- Experience in a customer-facing support role, QA role or equivalent
- Previous experience in a library or publishing environment, and an understanding of common workflows
- Adept at translating complex technical issues and liaising between internal and external stakeholders
- An understanding of basic programming concepts such as variables, loops and functions
- Foundational knowledge of databases
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Some basic knowledge of XML & HTML
- Comfortable grasping complex technical concepts, and an eagerness to build on existing technical literacy
- A proactive approach and commitment to providing a great customer experience
Our offices are based in The Smithson building, in Clerkenwell, London. As a portfolio company of Digital Science, we share our space with other scientific start-ups including figshare, Overleaf & Symplectic. Many of our team work remotely around the UK, Europe and the US, but the office is always welcoming for when you'd like it - and several of our team are in at least a few days a week. (Outside of these unusual times, of course.)
As a company, we're proud to offer
- A focus on work-life balance - flexible working hours and an on-demand employee wellness program
- Remote and in-office working with ease - we're comfortable and productive anywhere!
- A competitive salary
- The tech to get you up and running - a MacBook provided as standard
- An annual training & conference budget, including international travel
- Regular remote and (when we can) in-person fun
Our team is diverse with a huge mix of backgrounds, languages, locations, and life experiences! We are an equal opportunity employer and believe our company can only be made better this way.