Remote + Cambridge/London
"Speechmatics provides lots of great opportunities to develop next-generation ML-powered engines and technologies. Our engineers get to work across low-latency C++ implementations to cloud orchestration to cutting-edge neural networks, so there's really lots of deep tech to get your teeth into. I've enjoyed both the breadth and depth on the tech that we work on here at Speechmatics."
Will Williams, VP Machine Learning Background
Speechmaticsleads the market as anany-context speech recognition engine for companies to rapidly build innovative applications at scale.The UK Government, DeloitteUK, Vonage, Veritone and 3Play Media useSpeechmaticsin scenarios such as media and entertainment, contactcenters, CRM, financial services, and security.Speechmaticsprocesses millions of hours of transcription worldwide every month.
As a recognizedpioneer in machine learning voice engineering, Speechmatics enables companies to buildapplications that detect and transcribe voice in any context in real-time. Its neural networks consider acoustics, languages,dialects, multiple speakers, punctuation, capitalization, context and implicit meanings. In 2019,Speechmaticsreceived the Queen'sAward for Enterprise Innovation.
Speechmatics is a rapidly growing, global company with offices in Cambridge, UK, Denver, USA, Chennai, India and Brno, Czech Republic. With ambitious growth plans comes great opportunities that are exciting and progressive. You'll be working with some of the smartest minds in the industry, on cutting-edge projects and deploying the latest machine learning techniques. You'll provide customers with the best speech technology available, while being immersed in a great team and company culture that strives to be world leading. We're looking for people who wholeheartedly believe they can bring new ideas and join us on our journey. If that's you, we'd love to hear from you.
Speechmatics is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. The Opportunity
We're looking for an expert in C++, ideally backed up with strong Python, to join our engineering team responsible for the full product development lifecycle of our ASR products. Focusing on our core ASR engine, you will apply your knowledge in OO design, algorithms, testing and good software engineering practice to produce clean and efficient code. The core ASR engine is the foundation of all our transcription products; written in C++17, it binds together our neural network libraries for speech modelling, punctuation, decoding and lattice postprocessing. Don't worry if you are not familiar with these terms; you'll work closely with our expert machine learning and speech recognition engineers who will teach you all you need to know. You will help us ensure the core ASR engine continues to be efficient running fast to give our customers the low real-time latencies they expect and running for weeks at a time with acceptable memory usage.
You will be a team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment. We strongly encourage versatility and knowledge transfer across teams, so you will be expected to find satisfaction in sharing your knowledge and experience while also learning from others. You will help drive the system architecture and actively participate in defining and improving the best practices we employ for development, code review and testing.
If you are a talented, detail-oriented engineer with a solid software development foundation and a commitment to deliver the best possible software solutions, then we want to hear from you!Key Responsibilities
- Promoting as well as delivering high quality, maintainable and robust code on time
- Driving and executing projects whilst contributing towards the underlying design
- Developing pragmatic solutions and building flexible systems without over-engineering
- Take a leading role in all stages of the software development cycle, including designing and developing new architectural systems and improvements, and QA processes
- Facilitate and participate in estimation and sprint planning in an agile environment
- Ensure close working with other technical and product teams to deliver on the company's technical vision
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Professional experience in software development
- Experience of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Analytical with a data-driven approach to making decisions and attention to detail
- Excellent C++ skills
- Good Python skills
- Good Linux development skills
- Proven experience taking a leading role within a team to create, deliver, and run high quality systems
- Comfortable collaborating with teams with very different technical skills, and non-technical teams
- Experience with Go
- Experience developing for MacOS and Windows
- Experience with build systems and continuous integration pipelines
- Cloud technologies docker, Kubernetes
Competitive salary (dependent on experience), flexible working and some awesome benefits and perks.Who are we?
Our vision at Speechmatics isto deliver products that unlock meaning at scale by applying machine learning to understanding communication.
Innovation is what we do. We build, we iterate, we develop the next thing that delivers that wow moment. We see value in building long-term, authentic relationships that last and are based on trust and honesty. With our customers, our colleagues, our leaders, our suppliers or within our local community. Our journey should be fun and exciting. We will celebrate our successes and learn from our mistakes together along the way. We embrace learning and change to grow naturally and organically as a company and individuals. We trust, we're honest, kind and respectful.