Right now, the people who care for our families, pack our produce and deliver our parcels face a fragile financial existence. And that's not right. We believe they deserve to live and work without compromise. So we're doing something about it.
At Collective, we're enabling companies with the right intentions to provide the right protections. Working directly with the on demand platforms propelling our economy forward. Helping them ramp up recruitment and retention, increase engagement and protect their people. All at the same time. Together, we're making independent work, work for everyone.
We've got backing from the people behind Deliveroo, Zoopla and Cazoo, and have been featured in The Economist, TechCrunch and The Times (to name a few). And as we expand operations across the UK and Europe, our mission is gaining momentum.A Brief Overview
As a Lead Engineer at Collective Benefits, you will build and maintain scalable web applications and services; monitor, test, and continuously optimise our systems; and deliver testable, maintainable, and high-quality code. You'll work closely with fellow tech leaders to evolve and enhance our engineering practices, and help to coach members of the wider engineering team with a focus on our build-test-release cycle to ensure seamless continuous delivery of new product features.
This is an opportunity to contribute to building a business and platform at the ground floor and to make technical decisions. So if you have relentless ambition, an abundance of passion, and supreme technical skills, we'd love to chat with you.
You'll have at least several years experience in similar roles, ideally working with top-tier tech companies or product driven start-ups. Experience with consumer facing or regulated businesses strongly preferred.Three reasons this role is great
What will you do?
- You'll work as part of our close-knit Engineering and Product teams to help craft the best possible experience for Collective users.
- If you're looking to make a mark in your career and take ownership in a highly driven team - this is the opportunity for you. We have big ambitions for growth, move at a fast pace, and you'll work autonomously with the close support of startup founders and senior managers who have done this before.
- You'll make a difference - we're building a business that will provide the protections that gig workers badly need.
You should join us if
- Take broad and ambiguous problems and turn them into delightful products.
- Lead in the design and development of new, scalable features spanning both the frontend and backend.
- Take a technical coaching role to help the wider engineering team learn and develop established Agile practices.
- Build reusable components/services for future use.
- Investigate, resolve and mitigate service-impacting events as part of operations on-call rotation.
- Partner with product, engineering, and design to oversee the development of a product from problem definition, conception to launch (and then some).
The nuts and bolts
- You are experienced in designing, building and integrating with RESTful APIs.
- You care about software architecture across the front-end and back-end, and the APIs that glue them together.
- You have extensive knowledge of Git and Continuous Integration.
- You are an advocate for Test Driven Development.
- You have an in-depth knowledge of AWS - in particular, ECS, S3, CloudFront, Lambda, CloudWatch, Cognito and CodePipeline.
- You are proficient with Terraform or other comparable infrastructure-as-code tools.
- You understand that good engineering is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs.
- You have empathy for customer needs, but can also consider technical constraints and business goals.
- You value collaboration and are at your best when you're part of a team.
- You are flexible; we're a young startup and you'll be building lots of fun things, proof of concepts, MVPs, as well as core regulated systems.
What will you get in return?
- Great communication skills whether it be face to face, through video, phone or email
- Smart, inquisitive, and have a willingness to sink your teeth into the role
- Knowledge of (or a keen interest in) the gig economy is a significant plus
- Be nice. Be smart. Be awesome.
- Competitive Salary based on experience
- Employee Equity Options and Pension Contributions
- Birthday day off, because no-one should have to work on their birthday
- Personal development budget, to help you grow
- A shiny new laptop
- Keep healthy with 24/7 GP and Mental Health Support
- Cycle to Work and Tech Scheme saving you money and spreading the cost
- Deals & Discounts at major retailers, gyms and more