We're looking for a software engineer to join our tight-knit and dynamic engineering team at the Mention Me headquarters in Vauxhall, London. Reporting into one of our Tech Leads, the successful candidate will work with our product managers to understand customer requirements and use technology to build solutions which deliver business value.
Our award-winning platform gives out rewards worth millions of pounds, serves hundreds of thousands users daily, and collects fascinating information about how people shop. We want someone who's keen to get involved in it all from the frontend (React, Typescript) to the backend systems; the APIs (GraphQL, REST); and the tools and technologies that keep it all humming.
If you want to be involved in product and technology from the ground up in a small team that loves continuous improvement, this role could be perfect for you.Requirements
We're looking for an enthusiastic software engineer comfortable with both back and front-end engineering (even if you have a strong preference for one) who will make the role their own. New skills and ideas are always welcome in our multidisciplinary team! We operate the INSPIRED product process (from svpg.com) where small, multi-disciplinary teams of product managers, designers and engineers build products that move business critical metrics.
You'll be responsible for
- Creating products in Symfony, PHP, Typescript, React, GraphQL, LESS and MySQL
(you don't need to already be expert in all of these but expertise in some would be good)
- Partnering closely with stakeholders, including customers and Product and Design teams
- Working as a team, participating in cross-functional groups, and communicating with the wider business
- Contributing to a Kanban based engineering process
- Building within a production-strength SaaS platform based on best practice architectures, providing high availability (last year we had 99.97% uptime!)
- Designing with a secure-first approach.
You should apply if you
- Are a first-rate problem-solver with solid experience of agile software development
- Use technology as just a tool to solve real customer problems
- Have a natural appreciation of what a good product should look and feel like
- Are adept at evaluating business value and prioritising product work based on it
- Have experience of working with UX/UI designers and formal design process
- Are comfortable with the tools and processes of a modern software development environment
- Move fast, but also understand the complexities of the stack and strive to improve things with high quality code and great testing
- Have the right to work in the UK
And if you tick these boxes, that's even better (but not essential)
- Have experience in Git and Continuous Build systems like Jenkins
- Have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Maths or a related discipline
The serious stuff
- A competitive salary depending on experience, plus stock options
- A challenging but rewarding scale-up environment full of ambitious, talented and supportive individuals
- We're big on personal development we offer an individual training budget, a mentoring programme and a personal challenge fund
- A fortnightly hack day to learn and experiment individually or as a team
- 25 days annual holiday (plus one day each year for up to five years) exc. bank holidays
- Company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Client-based learning events
The fun stuff
- A rainbow-themed workplace where casual dress, background music and enthusiastic celebrations are part of the everyday
- More refreshments than you can shake a stick at! We're talking endless snacks, an assortment of teas and coffee, and a beer (and wine) fridge
- Regular social events, from team karaoke to sports clubs and gaming nights
- Free weekly massages
- The Wheel of Wow - impress your colleagues for the chance to win prizes including an envelope of cash, a hotel stay or even a trip abroad
- Lots of pink tat, from a personalised mug to a pink hoodie and flamingo umbrella
- Company trips to the local pub
- Quarterly surprise office outings (think paddle-boarding the Thames, pasta-making and ukulele lessons), as well as a seriously fun end-of-year party.
- [During Covid we are mostly working remotely but there are a few people coming into the office, we are still trying to do interesting and fun activities remotely as much as we can - such as cooking lessons, gin tasting, clay modelling]
Diversity, equality and inclusion
At Mention Me, we're striving to create a diverse workplace where everyone feels included and respected. We welcome all applications, particularly from those in underrepresented demographics. If you'd like to find out more about diversity and inclusion at Mention Me, please get in touch.