Universe plc (Universe) is an innovative British financial technology company and is on a mission to revolutionise the way business is conducted in its chosen business segments. The business is a leading provider of point of sale, payment and loyalty solutions in the retail and forecourt markets. Universe provides a range of products and solutions to its customers which help them to increase profits through increasing basket size, customer loyalty and footfall; serving customers more efficiently and cost-effectively. It currently designs, builds, installs and supports systems in 5,700 retail sites - processing over 15 billion transactions each year through its data centres.
Htec Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Universe Group plc
We require an experienced Head of Development. This role is charged with maximising the quality and reliability of HTEC's products and services, by ensuring that strong development practices are in place and are always rigorously followed. Maintaining and improving the company's development capability - including the leadership of a team of internal and external developers - is a key part of the job, as is ensuring open lines of communication with all stakeholder groups, including colleagues, clients and suppliers.
- Responsible for building a well-structured, dedicated Software Development whilst focusing on cultural improvements and increasing overall output and quality.
- Ensure that development activities are managed closely to time and budgets, and that exceptions are communicated effectively to the relevant stakeholders.
- Manage and lead client facing engagements at all levels and be trusted to deliver to customer expectation with honesty, transparency and support for all future engagements
- Leading, coaching and cascading company vision to develop and change people culture and environment
- Collaborate with Developers, Testers, Architects, Product Owners and HTEC leadership, to assist with design and product delivery and manage implementation of agreed architecture and coding standards.
- Ensuring that effective development standards are implemented, documented and followed by the development team, including engagement within the ISO9001 and ISO27001 audit processes to demonstrate their use and effectiveness.
- Be accountable as an escalation route when required, whilst being empowered and trusted to manage any situations as they occur.
- Responsible for the continuous improvement of the development function within HTEC and ensuring that the capabilities available, internally and externally, remain aligned to the company vision and objectives.
The successful candidate will:
- Build strong relationships with colleagues, clients and suppliers to get the job done, including:
- Supportive and collaborative teamwork with colleagues to ensure that development efforts are aligned with company priorities and development team members are scheduled accordingly.
- Reviewing and providing input into product requirements and technical design processes.
- Ensuring that the development function is a core and active contributing discipline within the overall product development process.
- Make decisions and table/escalate recommendations to senior management to ensure that development capability mirrors the needs of the business and adequately supports product development and project activities.
- Be accountable for managing development projects and resources, including:
- Agreement of development approach and detail designs options.
- Creation of work estimates for the agreed designs or options.
- Ensuring that all stakeholders are informed of progress effectively managed.
- Ensure development processes and standards are followed consistently.
- Strive for continuous improvement by embracing and looking to extend:
- Agile development methodologies, consistent use of development tooling and automation within the development space.
- Lead and manage (recruit, train, allocate and monitor) the team, including:
- Setting objectives and monitoring performance.
- Mentoring and career development.
- Controlling risk by eliminating reliance on the knowledge of specific individuals.
Motivating the team and ensuring individuals are always outcome oriented
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
To be considered for this role, you'll need:
- 5+ years of relevant experience of SDLC management across a range of development methodologies and standard approaches, within a product or software development organisation.
- Experience of cloud architectures and Saas delivery
- To be proactive, methodical, well organised and able to work to demanding deadlines across a number of simultaneous activities.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Leadership, delegation and coordination skills and experience of leading a team, preferably with some exposure to matrix management.
- To thrive in a fast-moving environment and be personally resilient in dealing with the changing demands of a dynamic role.
Additional skills preferred
- Ideally degree-level educated.
- Ideally have experience of working with distributed, multi-component systems running over networks, e.g. in retail, security, machine control, etc. environments.
· Ideally have knowledge of the retail and payments domain.
You should apply if:
- You care deeply about by applying technology and processes to deliver smarter solutions
- You are a reliable and structured professional and excel in a flat team structure where trust and integrity is the key foundation for everything, we do
- You are comfortable using a direct language and speaking in a straightforward yet respectful manner to save peoples´ time and simplify everyone´s workday.
- You love rolling up your sleeves to get it done
- What we're doing at Universe excites you!
· Universe are in the simplicity business and they are building a team, who look at the world a little differently. People that look at the needlessly complicated and say 'that's nuts'. Folks that are bold enough to challenge convention. And brilliant enough to actually change it.
What's in it for you?
- The chance to make a real impact in a business intent on changing the face of the retail sector (and thus the end customer experience)
- A flat and collaborative team structure fuelled by an exciting mix of people welcoming both experienced people from the industry with both feet on the ground and tech-savvy dreamers who pave way for the new stuff. Come as you are and be yourself
- A unique opportunity to carve out your own dream job by simply making things happen at a pivotal time when the company´s future is being shaped. We look for the brightest and smartest who tell us what to do
- Competitive salary
- More exciting benefits you will hear about when we talk