Frasers Group started as a small store in Maidenhead in 1982 and from there, grew to become a global powerhouse. We are now a collection of the world's most iconic brands.
We're reimagining retail and
believe the higher the risk, the greater the reward. We've never been afraid to push forward and change the way the industry operates, diversifying our portfolio and elevating stores. We're not sitting back - there's no room for hesitation. Finding the fearless.
To stay ambitious, we need a Data Architect who will embrace our heritage as we look to elevate our future. We're looking for candidates who see the possible in impossible; those who are open-minded and humble, not afraid to take a risk if it's the best option for our business. Our people are passionate about the business and their area of expertise - whether that's luxury fashion buying or sportswear analytics. The opportunity.
We are seeking a Data Architect to join us in our growing Data Infrastructure & Engineering team; to help develop, maintain, support, and integrate our growing number of data systems. The right candidate will have a wealth of knowledge in the data world and will be keen to expand upon their existing knowledge set learning about any new data technologies along the way. The responsibility.
As part of this role you would be responsible for building and managing a team of data engineers and growing the capabilities of the data platform(s) and producing designs around new data problems and challenges, whilst assisting with formalising and realising the Data Strategy and Data Culture across the group. Some of your responsibilities will be:
- Translating business requirements to technical specifications in areas such as: data streams, data lakes, integrations, transformations, databases, and data warehouses
- Working with the analytics and engineering teams to design and implement data products
- Providing in-depth knowledge and strategy regarding data capabilities
- Acting as a Subject Matter Expert for cloud and on-Prem end-to-end data architecture
- Working with Agile and DevOps techniques
- Designing data stores and pipelines that are scalable, repeatable, and secure, and can serve multiple users and applications within the Group
- Designing Data collection, ETL and ELT processes
- Designing prototypes and proof of concepts for selected solutions
An opportunity like this at Frasers Group is for the fearless.
The potential is massive, the experience unrivalled. To be able to make the most of it you need to live and breathe our principles - you will:
• Think without limits
and take the team with you
You will see the possible in impossible and will be open-minded and humble, not afraid to take a risk if it's the best option for the business.
• Own it
and back it
You will take pride in what you do with confidence, but not overconfidence. It's important you take ownership of your decisions, stand by your convictions and reason with contradiction.
• Not hesitate
and act with purpose
You will ask for forgiveness - not permission. You will be comfortable juggling multiple projects acting both decisively and instinctively without support from managers.
• Be commercial
and customer focused.
You will be creative and analytical, balancing big-picture trends and detailed commercial performance. You will have a forensic commercial mindset, always considering the commercial impact of any decision.The person. Required education and experience:
Desirable skills & Technologies:
- Experience leading a team of Data Engineers, Data Scientists or other technically minded people
- A minimum 5 years' data technologies experience with a significant amount of time in lead Engineering or architectural data role utilising Microsoft technologies
- A wide understanding of all data storage concepts from RDBMS to unstructured data
- Experience with relational database internals, including both query processing and query planning, or other data processing infrastructure across several different RDBMS systems as well as NoSQL systems
- An in-depth knowledge of key data structures and algorithms
- A solid understanding of physical database design principles, and the system development life cycle.
- Understand how to apply technologies to solve data problems and to develop innovative data related solutions
- Experience with object-oriented design, coding, and testing patterns
- Extensive experience designing solutions in Microsoft SSIS and other Data movement Technologies
- Knowledge of data modelling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations
- Familiarity with monitoring, backup, and disaster recovery of data systems
- Extensive experience with Linux, Unix and Microsoft platforms.
- Extensive knowledge of SaaS and on-prem Engineering and Data Platforms (such as Snowflake, Qlik DI, FiveTran, Stitch)
- Knowledge and usage of BI Tools such as Looker, Power BI, Tableau
- Knowledge of data analysis, end-user requirements analysis, and business requirements analysis to develop a clear understanding of the business needs and to incorporate these needs into technical solution
- Experience with Spark and other analytical programming languages
- Experience in utilising Microsoft Azure and any related tooling for data engineering & design (such as Azure Data Warehouse, Azure Data Lake, EventHub, Apache Spark, Azure Database, Azure Databricks, Synapse)
- Knowledge or use of Azure DevOps for workload management and agile practices
- Working knowledge of Containerisation
- Working knowledge of multiple cloud solution offerings
- Proficiency in writing data execution related languages such as SQL, T-SQL. PL/PgSQL and PL/SQL
- Proficiency in one or more database scripting languages (i.e., PowerShell, Python etc.)
- Knowledge of, and some capability in programming in 3GL languages (such as C#, C, C++ or Java)
- A good foundation of leading technically minded people
- A solid working knowledge of database administration methodologies and techniques
- A good understanding of logical and physical database design principles.
- Strong communication skills at all levels
- Be a natural problem solver
- Work well in both functional and cross-functional environments
- Exhibit flexibility when addressing daily shifting work priorities (we are a 24x7 business)
- Can work well under pressure, using own initiative as well as part of the wider organisation