Joining the Epic Games family is propelling the kidtech sector to new heights.
Our teams are growing rapidly and we're hiring a Senior Platform Engineer in our Core Services team to build a scalable and reliable platform of common services.
What does a platform engineer do?
In SuperAwesome, Platform engineers' primary function is to accelerate software development by building reliable, secure, and scalable infrastructure.
Key parts of this role are to take part in the design and development process and help to make the right trade-offs between performance, cost, security and reliability, as well as to be a reliable escalation point supporting the system in production.
As a Senior Platform Engineer in Core Services you will
What would an average day look like?
- Train other software engineers on best practices for infrastructure management.
- Build POCs together with the Software Architecture team.
- Drive complex infrastructure changes with a fantastic level of transparency and communication, with zero down-time.
- Design and implement self-healing, reliable and scalable infrastructure in a cloud-native environment.
- Guide and unblock developers across multiple teams and get the right stuff done to push their product forward.
- Define SLOs and error quotas for services destined to run in production.
- Support and be a critical part of our dev-ops culture, including participation in our out-of-hours on-call rota.
- Ensure long-term scalability and maintainability of the wider SuperAwesome Platform.
As part of the Core Services team you will commit to high-speed iterations, high code quality and continuous improvement via agile processes and devops methodologies. In practice this translates to biweekly iterations focussed on delivering on some product goals aligned to getting a step closer to the team OKRs, lots of pair programming and code reviews, several deployments a day (we work in CD), and several quality checks at different stages of development.
In terms of technical challenges, here are a few challenges our team has solved. If you want to have an idea of what you would work on, give them a try
- What's the best way to scale a service based on the number of HTTP requests it receives?
- How can AWS Spot Instances be leveraged to reduce cost?
- In which ways can access to tools such as Kafka manager be secured?
- In K8S, how can we prevent two pods of the same service to run on the same node?
Our stack is entirely cloud native, and it includes technologies such as AWS, Terraform, Docker / Kubernetes, Helm, Kafka, PostgreSQL, Druid, Redis, ELK, Datadog, Pagerduty, Node.js, Typescript, Python
While we don't expect anybody to know our exact stack inside out, and you'll be given training and help during your onboarding to become fully proficient with it, we expect you to already have a deep understanding of how linux based distributed systems work at scale, and have covered a similar role in the past.Who should apply?
This role is ideal for somebody who wants to work with cutting-edge cloud infrastructure at scale, and be part of a team always open to new ways of working. The ideal candidate will be passionate about automation and making infrastructure more effective, as well as own a natural flair to explain complicated concepts in a simple and understandable way.
This all sounds great, what's it going to do for my career?
You will be exposed to new technologies in an environment that will allow you to use them at scale. All our products have a global reach, which means that everything we design has to take this into account. Our infrastructure is deployed in multiple AWS regions and it has to stay fast and reliable at all times.
We always try to solve problems at the right level of the stack, so you will have opportunities to develop both development and operations skills.
You will also be encouraged to invest in yourself and keep learning new things. For example, Friday afternoons can be used to work on different projects that are interesting to you. We also have hack days to disconnect from the day to day and explore new technologies and techniques.Requirements
- Fantastic communication skills
- Deep familiarity with Linux based distributed systems at scale
- Experience with AWS or another cloud provider
- Experience with SQL and/or NoSQL databases at scale
- Experience with services lifecycle, monitoring
- Experience working as a software or platform engineer
- Experience with DevOps practices and culture
- A good understanding of Docker
- An automation mindset
Nice to have
- Experience with technologies in our stack is a strong plus, specifically
- A good understanding of Kubernetes
- A good understanding of Kafka
- Experience with Terraform or other IaC tools
- Having worked with Nodejs and/or python
We have a range of awesome perks and benefits
We offer an incredible range of perks and benefits. During the pandemic, we are working hard to provide an amazing array of virtual benefits to our team stationed at home, from team lunches delivered to your door, to virtual socials. As soon as it is safe to do so, we will return to offering the full range that we normally offer.
- Fully paid healthcare - provided through Vitality
- Monthly pizza Friday
- Wednesday catered breakfast
- Quarterly team lunches
- Friday drinks
- Office snack bar
- Pension scheme
- Holidays - 25+ bank holidays
- Expanded Maternity and Paternity leave
- Flexible hours
- Quarterly socials / yearly company event
- Product team hack days and charity events
- Health and wellbeing calendar