Plum is powered by automation, and acts like an autopilot for your money. You sit at the controls, with smart spending analytics and budgeting tools to help you set your financial destination. Plum gets you there safely, so you don't need to remember things like setting money aside, getting the best deal on household bills.
Plum's making your savings and investments work for you..Here's What We're Trying To Tackle
- 11.5m people in the UK have less than £100 in savings
- 90% of UK savings accounts pay less than inflation
- £4bn lost to the loyalty penalty every year
- 2/3 of UK adults say money stress has affected the health or wellbeing of someone they know.
We've Imagined a world where people effortlessly manage their money without having to worry, or even think about it. A world where our users' money has a brain that's configured to automatically reach what is important to them.
And here at Plum, we made it our mission to build that world and we're now ready to make it a reality for Plumsters. We welcome them to our reality! Where their money works for them, and their entire financial journey is easier by an autopilot, controlled by them.
In 4 years, we've grown from 2 co-founders sharing a rusty desk in Soho, to a brilliant, hard-working team of 75+, with offices in London (HQ) and Athens. Now, with more than 1M people already using Plum across the UK, Ireland, France and Spain, we could use a little help and that might be where you come in!
We are now looking for a VP Engineering
to join our team in London. As our Engineering Teams are split between London and Athens, the role will require occasional travel between both locations.How We Work
We work in "squads" - a more startup-appropriate name for saying small, cross-functional teams. Each squad has a mission and a set of OKRs to monitor and improve. We have 5 of these squads right now - Aggregation & Linking, Growth, Treasury, Lost Money and Wealth.
We currently operate a Python monolith on a 80+ pod Kubernetes cluster on Google Cloud Platform and wrangle ~1TB of data in Postgres and BigQuery.What You Will Be Doing
What We Look For
- Hiring Being responsible for hiring and scaling the engineering team of currently 25.
- Performance Owning the delivery of the engineering organisation and being able to adjust it to deliver the end product which is what actually makes a difference to users.
- Owning and optimising engineering onboarding to get engineers productive as soon as possible.
- Thinking about engineering redundancy in knowledge of various aspects of the code base.
- Engineering Culture Leading by example to set the culture where impact to user and delivery of product is the focus. You will ensure that as the team evolves, this culture becomes stronger and you grow leaders within the organisation that further it.
- Team Health Ensuring that the team is evolving and the individuals are growing both as people and technically. You will work with leads and PMs to ensure the team is being built with autonomy and delivery in mind.
- External Management Being the final technical contact for all our providers and being able to work with them for enhancement of their API for better performance with Plum. You will be able to communicate on the tradeoffs being made when choosing various providers to the rest of the team.
- Architecture Working with the leads to set out our technology strategy as we scale and be able to communicate this to the rest of the organisation. You will make sure that the leads and the engineers are owning the engineering roadmap.
- You have been an instrumental part of a fast growing startup and have been an engineering lead, running 5+ squads and 40+ engineers and doubling in size.
- You'll have experience in leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams. With extensive technical and leadership expertise you'll lead engineers across multiple teams and locations.
- You've got experience building and designing scalable and performant systems and making significant contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company.
- You understand the value of balancing product knowledge and technical skills and can coach other engineers and product managers on both.
- You enjoy creating an inspiring team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued.
- You are an extremely good communicator and have clearly evidenced that. This is what we feel running successful autonomous engineering teams comes down to.
- You want to build a big global business and are aware of how critical the tech performance is to this.
- Join one of the hottest fintech scale-ups in London!
- We're all in this together! Own part of the company through stock options
- 25 days holiday a year, excluding bank holidays (33 in total)
- Private Pension to help you plan your later years
- Training budget to encourage you to develop new skills
- Our annual team trip, to a secret destination ✈️
- An office brimming with fruit & snacks, coffee, plants, and a vibe that's...
If you think this sounds like a bit of you then don't hesitate to get in touch!
Plum's tame humans