At Mojo we're building the future of men's sexual wellbeing.
Everyone talks about masculinity being broken and we want to fix it. We're not here to push pills or offer quick fixes. Instead, we're empowering men through a world class professional community that allows them to have thriving and healthy relationships.
If you can build a solid foundation for our web codebase and establish a world-class team of engineers as we scale, we want to hear from you.
We need someone that's driven and ambitious, with experience building out a new web stack from scratch, designed to last and adapt as the team and our userbase scale.About Mojo
We get it, talking about sexual problems can be embarrassing, we've been there. At Mojo we're changing the narrative around issues in the bedroom. They're scary and isolating - no amount of light-hearted aubergines emojis will change that. We're bringing men the solutions that all too often they don't know exist.
Our product today is an online video platform that delivers clinically proven techniques, exercises, and support to our users by connecting them with qualified experts.
In our first 9 months we have had crazy global growth with members in 36 countries and counting. Mojo is now backed by two of Europe's top VC firms and everyone is talking about us... we were the front cover of the Sunday Times on Valentines day.
You would be amongst the first to join our engineering team. That might sound daunting, but you will get the opportunity to establish our approach for years to come.
Mental health doesn't discriminate - and neither do we. We want to build a diverse team with different backgrounds, outlooks and experiences. So we'll give everyone a fair chance of getting this role. If you need any adjustments or support when you're applying, no worries. Just let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
https //mojo.soThe role
You'll work closely with the founders, our head of engineering and our UX engineer (who famously built poolside.fm), taking ownership of the fundamentals of our web front-end. We're looking for a self-starter who's comfortable walking the line between building a long-term solid codebase and delivering fast with pragmatism in mind.
We are a digital product and few roles can have as much of a direct impact on our ability to execute as the person who leads our web engineering.
As we are an early-stage start-up, there is a room for you to have a huge impact on the future of the company and a large amount of autonomy to shape your role and get stuck in. You should be comfortable adapting your role and responsibilities as the company grows. We expect this might consist of
- Building a world-class web engineering team
- Collaborating with our design team to bring the product to life
- Establish practices and standards to stand the test of time
- Set an example of moving fast (ideally only breaking a few things!)
- Making a website so great on mobile that people don't mind us not having a native app
- Getting comfortable tweaking bits of backend code here and there
- Setting a new standard on serving other countries without forking the codebase - beyond just basic language localisation, think local payment methods and cultural differences in how content should be presented
At this stage, everyone needs to be comfortable doing bits and bobs outside their core role. You might find yourself testing accessibility with a screen reader, helping out with running user testing sessions, or even diving into data analysis in our BigQuery warehouse.Requirements
- In-depth lead/principal-level experience of React, Redux and TypeScript in a large codebase
- Ability to establish engineering practices & standards which can last
- A focus on pragmatism and results over technical perfection
- Experience in a startup with
- Interest in contributing on the backend side on occasion
- Compassion, empathy, understanding or interest in mental health
- Experience with Jamstack-esque setups and styled components
- Understanding of how security vulnerabilities could be exploited in client-side web applications and how to defend against them
If you're interested in Go, React Native, or more generally have any experience with other engineering disciplines, that'd be a big plus point, but definitely just a "nice to have", not required!Not for you if
- Beyond being excellent at your job, you struggle to buy into the company mission
- You have a big ego, or can't play well and adapt to the wider needs
- You're driven solely by excellence in engineering - we're here to effect a change in the world, and everyone's priority has to be that first and foremost
- Competitive salary and chunky Seed round equity package
- Vibrant WeWork Office and hybrid working model
- Fully stocked drinks fridge (we do drinks every Thursday)
- 33 days holiday
- Monthly team outings
- Personal and professional development allowance
- Cycle to work scheme
- A volunteering day off
- Fulfilling role working to change attitudes towards mental health