The Blockhouse Technology Limited (TBTL) is a start-up that innovates in the area of trusted computing; we prototype and build both systems using and tools for Blockchains/Distributed Ledger Technologies (DLTs) and Trusted Execution Environments (TEEs). We are working on the next generation of trusted technologies that will underpin the Web 3.0 and future digital civilisations - we develop both core technologies and applications in this space. TBTL brings together academics and software engineers to create a relaxed environment that promotes innovation in both research and systems development. More information on TBTL is available on our website www.tbtl.com
We are looking for a research engineer capable of translating academic papers into prototypes and products with a keen interest in trusted computing, distributed systems, and formal methods. The appointee will be involved in the design and development of cutting-edge distributed systems based on a number of innovative techniques and technologies. At TBTL, we tackle challenging problems to revolutionise the capabilities of current technology. We are particularly focused on pushing the boundaries of what systems can achieve in terms of security, privacy, and compliance.
You will collaborate and work alongside several academics and software engineers on a number of innovative projects. Therefore, a desire to learn new technologies, and broaden your knowledge is a must. We are also associated with the University College Oxford Blockchain Research Centre.
The successful candidate should be willing to travel overseas if requested.
During the current pandemic, the company is flexible regarding the location of where the work is undertaken. It is hoped that the successful candidate will join the team in our offices in North Oxford, at least in part, if not all, of the working week. Social distancing is to be observed at all times, and we follow the guidelines as set out by the Government. When the new normal is established, the successful candidate will be expected to be based in the office.Responsibilities
Your responsibilities will include
- Keep up with current developments in the area of trusted computing;
- Distil academic papers to refine and improve on the ideas proposed;
- Contribute with innovative ideas (be they original or known in academic literature) to the design of our products and systems;
- Design, prototype, and develop our products and systems;
- Contribute with clean, well-tested, and well-documented code;
- Identify and propose improvements for our current systems and products;
- Review code and pull requests providing valuable feedback to other team members;
- Mentor and help less-experienced and newcomer engineers;
- Suggest improvements for our design and development processes.
Our systems and tools are designed and developed by a team which includes several academics. The appointee is expected to play a significant part in proposing and developing ideas while also helping with their implementation; intellectual curiosity is at the heart of our company culture.Required SkillsRequirements
- At least 2 years' experience designing and developing systems in C++, Rust, or Go, and the curiosity and desire to learn new languages/technologies;
- An MSc in Computer Science or related subject, or equivalent academic/research experience;
- Academic interest in distributed systems, system security, cryptography and formal methods;
- Experience in implementing systems and concepts proposed in academic papers;
- Ability to take ownership and see initiatives through;
- Excellent written and communication skills in English;
- Intellectual curiosity.
- A PhD in Computer Science or related subject, or equivalent academic/research experience;
- Understanding of consensus protocols (e.g. Paxos, Raft, PBFT, PoW, PoS);
- Experience with blockchain frameworks (e.g. Hyperledger Fabric, Cosmos, Tendermint, Substrate);
- Experience with TEE development (e.g. using Intel SGX or AMD SEV);
- Knowledge of cryptography (e.g. cryptographic protocols, public-key cryptography, etc).
The appointee will be part of an innovative start-up, developing cutting-edge technology in the area of trusted technologies;
- You will have room to grow and influence the future of the company, particularly in both its research and software development processes;
If you would like to apply for this position, please ensure all mandatory fields on the Application Form are fully completed. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.Closing date for applications 31st July 2021.
- Competitive salary;
- 33 days paid annual leave (inclusive of public and Bank holidays);
- Office in North Oxford; within walking distance of the city centre.