Working closely with the Partnerships and Fundraising Manager and wider marketing team, you will identify and cultivate fruitful partnerships with a range of medium and large businesses, civil service departments and organisations working with retired individuals (exact mix to be defined when the role begins and reviewed on an annual basis).
The successful candidate will help maximise the potential of corporate and other organisations for volunteer recruitment, to ensure a sustainable supply of tutors to enable growth for Action Tutoring. As a relatively young organisation, raising our profile and brand awareness lies at the heart of our marketing and recruitment activities.
You will be recruiting volunteers from across the country to deliver both online and face to face tutoring support in the charity's regions. You will adapt your support depending on current programme needs and targets.
The role requires someone with outstanding people skills, able to win people over to your cause through genuine passion, with an ability to take initiative and think creatively to spot new opportunities. You will need to be proactive and persistent. An ability to think strategically and use data to identify priorities and help spot opportunities will also be critical to success in the role. A genuine interest in the charity sector and/or education is vital.
Duties and responsibilities
- Drive new applications from potential volunteer tutors, ensuring a strong supply of high quality applications to meet growth targets in each region, for both face to face and online delivery.
- Work with the Partnerships and Fundraising Manager to build on and develop new relationships with organisations, including corporate businesses, the civil service and those engaging retired individuals (exact mix defined when role begins), with the aim of encouraging employee volunteering and ensuring a sustainable pipeline of volunteers.
- Deliver information sessions ('Lunch & Learn') and induction tutor training sessions to prospective and new volunteer tutors. Host feedback and reflection sessions for active volunteers.
- Shared responsibility for volunteer calls to those who don't complete their Disclosure and Barring Service check at training: checking their ID and processing their check and calls to chase those who don't book on. Full training will be given for this.
- Maximise the potential from existing partnerships.
- Generate regular reports and communicate updates to volunteer partners to demonstrate the value and impact of their volunteers.
- Build relationships with other relevant organisations to build and diversify Action Tutoring's pool of volunteers.
- Work with the current volunteer pool to identify potential advocates for Action Tutoring through their employers or member organisations, particularly to encourage word of mouth recommendation.
- Research new leads for corporate volunteer recruitment and corporate fundraising opportunities including sponsorship, fundraising events, donations and 'charity of the year' offerings.
- Articulate the benefits and value of volunteering with Action Tutoring to corporate organisations, developing new communications documents, sourcing case studies and materials to assist this and attending events; supporting the profile raising of Action Tutoring wherever possible.
- Support programme staff to develop local partnerships, through businesses and public sector links.
- Maintain accurate records of recruitment channels and relationships; use data to analyse the effectiveness of different recruitment channels, using this information to inform future work.
- Any other duties deemed reasonable by the Chief Executive Officer.
Place of work: We consider remote working for this role for the right candidate, but occasional visits to the London office and travel to external events, meetings and Action Tutoring regions would be required.
London office: The Dock, Tobacco Quay, Wapping Lane, E1W 2SF.
Contract and hours: Full time (37.5 hours per week) permanent contract.
Start date: Monday, 23rd August 2021.
Closing date and interviews: Sunday 4th July 2021, 12pm. Interviews between 26th and 27th July 2021 .
All Action Tutoring staff must have a DBS check. Should you be aware of any incidents, cautions or convictions that would appear on your DBS check, you should notify us with your application.
- 1+ years of work or other experience pitching/presenting and building relationships.
- Evidence of strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Interest in the charity and education sectors.
- Right to work in the UK.
We are seeking applications from individuals who are:
- Highly organised, able to multitask and prioritise and complete activities to a high standard; excellent time management skills.
- Have experience managing stakeholders, networking and building relationships for professional purposes, friendly and outgoing.
- Able to work independently and use initiative in a range of situations to spot new opportunities and collaborate across teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Confident public speaker; able to present well to a range of audiences, ability to be persistent and persuasive when required.
- Have high computer literacy; familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and have experience using databases (desirable).
- Open to new ideas, able to suggest improvements and take ownership. Action Tutoring is a small organisation and values the creative input of all staff members to innovate and drive improvements.
- Adaptable and open to learning. You will need to be willing to adapt and to grow and develop with the organisation.
- Efficient and able to work under pressure when required, able to multi-task and juggle a varied workload.
- Committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Committed to the mission and values of Action Tutoring.
- Committed to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children.
- Sales, recruitment or marketing experience.
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
- Experience using databases.
- Hybrid working
We offer a flexible combination of office and home based working.
25 days holiday a year (plus UK public holidays), increasing by a day for each complete year of service (up to three extra days).
- Flexitime and TOIL
We have a flexible policy for working hours, and offer TOIL where staff have to work particularly early in the day or late in the evening, so that they can reclaim those hours at another time.
- Team away days
The whole team across the UK gets together three times a year.
We have a workplace pension scheme with a 3% employer contribution.
- Culture of celebrating
Regular thanks and praise and monthly recognition of 'heroes' to celebrate employees going above and beyond.
Lots of opportunities to learn from others in the organisation, including policy briefings, shadowing colleagues and peer-to-peer development.
Team socials around team days, regular bring-and-share team lunches and other activities.
As well as checking the accuracy of all content Action Tutoring shares with external audiences, our proofreading team supports individuals who would value an extra pair of eyes on their writing.
-Ad hoc projects
Interested in other exciting topics relevant to our charity? Then join one of our working groups (including policy, diversity and inclusion, curriculum and training, socials, data and insights) and support with ongoing projects.
As a charity that values and celebrates people's diversity and champions opportunities for all young people, we are keen to receive applications from people who have experienced disadvantage and from those who are of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities who are currently underrepresented in our organisation.
If you are dedicated to ensuring young people from all backgrounds reach a meaningful level of academic attainment and are passionate about bringing about this change, please apply today or get in touch for more information.
How to apply
Please click apply and submit your CV and a letter outlining (max 1 page A4):
(When uploading one document, please click 'upload', rather than 'finish application' to make sure that it attaches, and to allow you to upload another document.)
1) Your presenting/pitching experience, including clear examples.
2) Your ability to be resilient when things are not going the way you thought, including clear examples of past experiences.
3) Your experience networking and developing valuable relationships.
4) Tell us about how our organisational values align with your values.
Applications that fail to meet these criteria will automatically be discounted.