Youth Concern is seeking a Company Secretary to help us move to the next level of governance as befits the charity’s increase in complexity, scope and size, and to provide a range of effective administrative support services.
You will support the Chair in:
- Advising the trustees on constitutional, governance and procedural matters
- Ensuring the charity complies with relevant legislation and regulations
- Establishing procedures for the sound governance of the charity
- Ensure the procedure for the election and appointment of trustees is carried out properly, assist in new trustees’ induction and assess each trustee’s specific training needs
- Providing comprehensive practical support and guidance to the trustees as individuals and as a collective
- Assisting in the compilation of board papers and to ensure they comply with the required standards of good governance
- Being involved in ad hoc projects to support the CEO and/or charity, generally in an area of your existing expertise
The Company Secretary will assist the Chair in ensuring trustees’ decisions are acted upon and are in accordance with the articles of association and reflect the objectives of the charity.
We are looking for someone with:
- the highest standards of personal integrity and professionalism
- experience of charity sector governance requirements
- ideally professional experience in business, law, accountancy or public administration
- the ability to build and develop strong, supporting working relationships with trustees and the CEO
- flexibility to respond to emails, occasionally at short notice
If you support our purpose and share our personality – empathetic, optimistic, determined and bold – we would be delighted to hear from you.
Youth Concern is committed to being more representative of the communities we serve at board level. We would therefore particularly welcome applications from candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences, including lived experience relevant to the work of Youth Concern.
What's in it for the volunteer?
Coronavirus has increased the gap between the haves and the have nots. Not all young people have the same opportunities. Youth Concern believes that every young person has the right to be fed, to a safe home, to a good education and to employment. In becoming our Company Secretary, you will be helping young people to succeed in life. And because:
- you believe a few hours a month is a good investment of your time to help turn young people’s lives around;
- you want to give something back;
- your skill set will benefit a local charity as it grows and develops;
- you want to be part of Youth Concern’s success story.
- 6 trustees’ meetings per year (Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov)
- 1 AGM per year (June)
- Occasional interim meetings
- Trustees give approximately 3-8 hours monthly
Location: generally, meetings are held in Aylesbury. Some meetings are held online.
Remuneration: this is a voluntary role. Expenses will be reimbursed in line with our expenses policy.
How to apply
Applications are through Reach TrusteeWorks. Please email your CV, along with a covering letter stating why you wish to work for the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information. For an informal conversation about this opportunity please email the TrusteeWorks team firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a call with Youth Concern.
Deadline: 20 Aug 2021