Faculty Business Units (BUs) are the customer facing teams responsible for providing cutting-edge solutions to our customers. We currently have four BUs; Government, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Consumer Business, and Engineering & Built Environments. Each BU is home to both technical and commercial team members.
As a BU Technical Director you will have a broad remit with responsibility within the BU for the team leadership and management of technical people, technology development, and ensuring we deliver high quality technical outcomes to our customers. Additionally, you will be working closely with the BU Director on business development.
Reporting to the CTO, you'll be building and leading a team of data scientists, designers and engineers.
Who we are
Faculty is an applied AI company that helps organisations who have the scale, data, and foresight to adopt AI into their business. We're helping make AI real across society by providing a unique combination of strategy, software and skills to our customers everything needed to successfully create value from AI. Founder-led and with over 50 PhDs, we're a team of specialists with experience across healthcare, finance, government, retail, engineering, construction and a host of other sectors.
We believe that AI should be trustworthy, impactful and beneficial across society. Those principles have shaped our work with more than 230 organisations across the public and private sectors as we help them use AI to act faster, make better decisions and understand more deeply. Thanks to our dedicated AI safety research programme, we're constantly refining our systems to make AI safer, more secure and more reliable.Requirements
As a Tech Director, you'll be essential in driving the mission of the Business Unit and overall Faculty by providing strategic leadership to the technical teams.
We're a rapidly growing organisation, so roles are dynamic and subject to change. Your role will evolve alongside business needs, but you can expect your key responsibilities to includeTeam building and management
- Leading the technical part of the BU, including structuring, building and managing the team
- Working with the BU Director to set the BU strategy and direction
- Pastoral care for the team
- Technical coaching
- Organising technical sharing culture
- Help implement organisational process changes
- Ownership of plans to show what a differentiated AI layer could look like for BU customers and working with central Product to articulate of a suitable technology roadmap for their use cases
- Actively oversee the development of technology
- Technical and solution architecture
- Tech feasibility of new and existing use cases
- Curation, exploration, and nurturing of ideas that could eventually inform new use cases
- Keeps on top of developments in AI relevant technology in their BU
- Through a mixture of personal intervention and making sure the necessary structures are in place, provide QA and technical expertise to the BU delivery portfolio.
- Support project tech leads to ensure tech teams deliver what they promise
- Ensure teams have what they need to do good work and provide a point of escalation to get support
- Contribute and be part of delivery teams where appropriate
- Input ideas and approaches in the Faculty Standard
- Business development including helping explain our tech to customers and contributing to proposals
- Domain expertise understanding of customer needs
- Representing Faculty through contributions to publications / blogs / conferences /events
- Working with central Product Management to develop a coherent proposition for how we apply our tech in the BU including reference implementations, sales and marketing collateral
- Scoping and customer qualification, including sign-off
Who you are
At Faculty, your attitude and behaviour are just as important as your technical skill. We look for individuals who can support our values, foster our culture and deliver for our organisation.
We like people who combine expertise and ambition with optimism, who are interested in changing the world for the better and who have the drive and intelligence to make it happen. If you're the right candidate for us, you probably
- Think scientifically, even if you're not a scientist - you test assumptions, seek evidence and are always looking for opportunities to improve the way we do things.
- Love finding new ways to solve old problems - when it comes to your work and your professional development, you don't believe in 'good enough'. You always seek new ways to solve old challenges.
- Are pragmatic and outcome-focused - you know how to balance the big picture with the little details and know a great idea is useless if it can't be executed in the real world.
To succeed in this role, you'll need
- Proven experience successfully leading technical teams, ideally including data scientists and engineers
- Good understanding of machine learning architectures and algorithms
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Deep understanding of the customer needs within the BU sector and the ability to turn our technology into compelling solutions for them
- A STEM degree is preferred but not required
- Unlimited holidays We encourage each other to use this time to take a break, work on personal projects, or to spend time with their friends and family.
- Genuinely flexible working We believe people have needs, responsibilities and interests that require something different to a strict 9-6 working day. We trust people to organise and take accountability for their own work and do our best to support their lives outside Faculty.
- Mental health coaching We offer access to confidential coaching sessions with mental healthcare professionals from Sanctus to ensure we offer the opportunity for our employees the chance to discuss and maintain their mental health
- Parental Leave We offer a progressive, equal, and generous parental leave policy. All parents are given 15 weeks leave at full pay in addition to statutory time off.
- Cycle to work scheme for all employees
- Access to TechScheme monthly personal tech repayment process
- £100 Work from Home equipment fund for any work-essential tech or home office equipment (on top of your laptop, of course)
- Breakfast and more fruit, drinks and snacks than you could ever eat provided (for office-based employees)
- Yoga sessions twice a week
Right to work in the UK
If you need sponsorship to have the right to work full-time in the UK, please let us know.
It takes all sorts to make AI real
We know that we can't make AI real if our people don't reflect the real diversity of society. More importantly, discrimination of any kind doesn't align with our ethics. With that in mind, we welcome applications from all ages, genders, identities, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and backgrounds.
We also know that equality and inclusion go beyond the hiring process, so we work hard to make Faculty a comfortable, safe and supportive environment for everyone.