WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
United Kingdom for UNHCR is the United Nations Refugee Agency's new national charity partner for the United Kingdom. We generate public awareness of the plight of refugees and raise funds to help protect them through UNHCR's humanitarian operations across the world.
Our supporters include UK private individuals, communities, corporate partners, trusts and foundations. The funds we raise help UNHCR deliver emergency relief such as shelter, medical care and basic supplies to people fleeing conflict and persecution, as well as healthcare, education and livelihoods opportunities for those who remain displaced over the long term.
Nobody chooses to be a refugee, but we can all play a part in their protection. We want those who work with us to share our values and passion for the cause.
We strongly value diversity and recognise that it is critical to our success and the cause that we serve. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all who work with us and strongly welcome applications from diverse backgrounds.
We are also open to flexibility in many different ways, including an element of working from home and flexible hours. Please don't be afraid to speak to us about this at the interview stage, so we can explore what's possible.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This is an exciting opportunity to join a new organisation in start-up mode and help shape our financial controls and processes.
We are looking for a proactive team player with drive and enthusiasm to play an active role in a small team providing a high-quality finance service.
You will support the finance team in the delivery of a comprehensive financial accounting function by providing professional accounting, reconciliation and administrative support service and specifically in managing the purchase ledger and reconciling income and in ensuring finance processes are robust and efficient.
• Responsible for maintaining an efficient purchase ledger system for UK for UNHCR ensuring that invoices, expense claims and petty cash are processed in a timely and efficient manner and in line with our Financial procedures.
• Ensure that Invoices and Purchase orders are coded accurately by Budget Holders and provide feedback as appropriate.
• Responsible for maintaining an up-to-date and accurate Purchase Order Log for the charity, ensuring that Purchase Orders are approved in line with delegated authority and in accordance with relevant financial processes.
• Process the fortnightly payment run, in line with supplier credit terms and send out remittance advices in a timely manner.
• Maintain accurate records of purchases made on corporate credit cards by colleagues, ensuring appropriately authorised and documented, and recorded on the finance system.
• Reconcile and post all income which comes into the Charity onto our finance system ensuring that information is complete and regularly reconcile information between Salesforce and our Finance system
• Reconcile all financial holding accounts monthly ensuring that all reconciling items are identified, investigated and cleared in a timely manner in time for month-end management accounts.
• Assist in the preparation, reconciliation and submission of quarterly Gift Aid claims for the charity and the annual Gift Aid Small Donation Scheme (GASDS) claim to HMRC.
• Assist the Finance team with preparation for the annual audit, ensuring that relevant documentation is retrieved from files and provided in an appropriate format for review by the charity's external auditors.
• Assist the Finance team with the preparation of monthly and quarterly reporting, both internally and to UNHCR
• Review and post bank transactions onto the ledger on a weekly basis. Prepare bank reconciliation statements on a monthly basis; investigate and resolve discrepancies.
• Maintain the Finance team's general mailbox. Monitor and respond to queries in the finance mailbox as needed.
• Ensure that all relevant procedures and working practices relating to these accounting processes are documented, accessible and maintained to ensure that they remain up to date.
• Provide cover for the other members of the Finance team and Operations team as required and general administrative support to the wider Operations team, for example organising incoming/outgoing mail as necessary, preparing standard responses where appropriate, photocopying and completing general office administration duties as appropriate.
Person specification requirements for Finance Officer
• Good working knowledge of the finance function especially in the voluntary sector
• Part professionally qualified in AAT or studying towards a CCAB qualification.
• Significant experience working in a small to medium sized organisation in a hands-on accounting role, ideally in a similar capacity.
• Hands-on experience of working with accounting software packages (preferably Xero accounts)
• Good knowledge of general bookkeeping and accounting procedures
• Experience of carrying out financial reconciliations
• Experience of use of multiple systems making up a 'finance eco-system' and the reconciliations, checks and controls necessary to ensure consistency in information recorded
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to understand financial processes and underlying principles
• Ability to build effective relationships with a wide range of people
• Organised and methodical approach, including ability to prioritise
• Good time management skills
• Excellent numeracy skills and attention to detail
• Commitment to excellent customer service
• Ability to use own initiative whilst also working successfully as part of a team.
• A passion for working within an INGO
• Minimum 2 years' experience working in a finance team carrying out complex reconciliations with data from multiple sources.
• Experience of performing accounting tasks such as maintaining a sales ledger, account reconciliation and purchase ledger.
• Experience of working in an administrative capacity within a finance team
*Please submit your CV and a covering letter.
Please note that applications which are just generic cover letters or CVs without covering letters will not be considered.
Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by Thursday 1st July.The initial interview will consist of a 30 min excel based finance task.