At Bloomberg, our mission has always been to provide real-time data, news, and analytics to our clients quickly and accurately. Our clients are some of the biggest players in finance, and they rely on our software to manage their portfolios, analyze the markets, and make swift trading decisions that keep them ahead of the competition. Our systems make an immediate impact on global markets. Our 6,000+ engineers are dedicated to building and advancing them. With more than 320,000 clients across the world, it's critical for our systems to be stable, reliable, and always available. And when it isn't? That is where the Engineering Problem Management team comes in. Working from within the Technology Infrastructure department, the team works closely alongside all our engineers.
Once the incident has been mitigated and users are able to resume functionality, the focus shifts to "what happened?" and the Problem Management (PM) team will facilitate a formal, blameless post mortem meeting to discuss the facts -- the timeline of the incident; identification of problem statements which triggered, contributed to or prolonged the incident; and appropriate remediation items helping the engineering teams to focus on building stable and resilient systems. We are a highly visible team, engaging with stakeholders across all aspects of the business in the wake of often-times significant outages. It is critical that the Problem Management team capture the right level of detail to help support stability at Bloomberg and to look for trends and opportunities where these outages occur to continuously add value to Engineering.
We are looking for an accomplished people manager, with experience of establishing or restructuring Problem Management to join our expanding team to help shape the direction and future of the group and deliver real return on investment. As the Problem Management team leader, we will look for you to:
- Help set strategy for Problem Management initiatives at Bloomberg
- Identify trends through Incidents from both causes and implicated systems
- Mentor and develop a team of Problem Managers
- Create a continuous improvement plan for developing workflows in Problem Management
- Utilize proactive problem management in a complex organisation and environment and help drive stability initiatives across Bloomberg
- Provide feedback into the incident management team and process
- Ensure knowledge sharing from incidents exists between Incident Management, Problem Management and other key Operational groups
- Market and promote the work of the team
- Cultivate a diverse network of stakeholders to help influence change in policies and behaviours
- Have oversight of all Post Mortems conducted by the team
- Be tenacious and invested - have a good understanding of what initiatives are going on across the department and how IM and PM can support or leverage them.
You need to have:
Experience leading and managing both proactive and reactive Problem investigations via Root Cause Analysis Experience gaining buy in from senior stakeholders in proactive problem activities and findings Experience in data analytics and incident reporting Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively tailor communication of technical issues to various audiences including management presentations and SRE talks Innovation and drive - someone who is happy to challenge the status quo and collaborate on processes within the team A self-starter who is assertive but diplomatic with the ability to prioritize workload and to perform in a high-pressure environment Strong collaboration skills and an interest in developing a strong network Solid technical background with the ability and aptitude to understand new technologies and application stacks Good organisation skills and excel at multitasking with the ability to pivot as the political priorities change We'd love to see:
If this sounds like you:
- Basic understanding of industry standard technologies and infrastructure such as: networking, cloud storage, middleware, databases and virtual infrastructure
- ITIL Service Support qualifications
- Familiarity with, or knowledge of the Bloomberg Terminal or other Bloomberg products
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.