About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer to join our Rail team to work in Various Site Locations across Kent and Sussex.Role purpose
Oversee the development and implementation of design proposals ensuring they meet customer requirements including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer.What you'll be doing
As a Senior Engineer, your main responsibilities are as follows:
Who we're looking for
- Interface between the design activities and construction activities ensuring all works are constructed in accordance with approved designs;
- Act as Contractors Responsible Engineer;
- Supervise, monitor and interpret the contract design documents of the contract;
- Input into the design development process;
- Undertake setting out duties to a high degree of precision and supervise other engineers setting out work;
- Produce and manage inspection and test plans across the construction works. Including undertaking of Engineers installation inspections;
- Complete Red line drawings and ensure accuracy of As Built issued drawings;
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other engineers within the team;
- Have a clear understanding of engineering tolerances on the contract and communicate these to the team;
- Anticipate and resolve technical issues, including the raising of technical queries / Early Warnings;
- Coordinate geotechnical investigation works;
- Hand over and Hand back of completed works to client;
- Ease of maintenance, energy efficiency with minimum environmental impact;
- Innovation to meet customer goals and positive impact on the local community;
- Safety Leadership of the team, contributing to the wider programme safety targets and culture;
- Understand and implement safety systems;
- Ensure all personnel under your control are fully briefed and work in a safe manner;
- Ensure works are being undertaken and recorded as required by the quality management system;
- Line management of engineers including development needs;
- Develop and maintain strong Client and Stakeholder relationships.
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Engineering Qualification (MEng, BEng, BSc) in Civil Engineering or similar discipline;
- Working towards Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status with recognised body;
- Strong team worker and ability to build relationships across the team;
- Strong communicator using verbal and written methods;
- Ability in setting out to tight tolerances.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- PTS certified;
- Completion of recognised training course in Health and Safety (NEBOSH, IOSH or SMSTS);
- Computer literate: Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook;
- Experience of delivering Rail Civil Engineering Works within a Network Rail controlled infrastructure;
- Being able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Line management experience.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
For an example of the exciting work our rail teams undertake click here:
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.