Would you like to play a key role in delivering Nuclear Submarines for the UK Royal Navy? We currently have a range of opportunities for Principal Mechanical Engineers at our site in Barrow-In-Furness.
We are looking for Principal Mechanical Engineers to work on the design, development and qualification of key platform mechanical and secondary propulsion systems across all of our submarine programmes - Dreadnought, Astute and SSN-R.
You will work as part of a programme team responsible for the design, development and qualification including interfaces with other systems. The complex nature of the product may see you being involved in a wide range of activities; from all stages of design from concept phases, maintaining design intent through the product life-cycle, change management and configuration control, resolving build, commissioning and in-service issues. You will be working with our supply chain and submarine delivery programme partners to support our customer, the UK Royal Navy.
We are seeking degree qualified mechanical engineers with specialist experience of one or more of the following systems;
Your main responsibilities as a Principal Mechanical Engineer will involve:
- Pressurised Air & Gas - high/medium/low pressure compressed air systems, compartment, auxiliary vent and emergency blow systems, nitrogen and oxygen systems, emergency breathing air systems.
- Hydraulics - hydraulic actuation and control systems including main and external hydraulics, steering and hydroplane control, auto lube, hydraulic oil transfer systems.
- HVAC - air purification, combined oxygen generation systems, scrubbing systems, atmosphere control and air particle detection, ship and battery ventilation.
- Cooling - sea-water, chilled water, fresh water for service and domestic consumption, stores refrigeration.
- Domestics - desalination plants, hot & cold water services, liquid and solid waste management, bilge and drainage systems, tank sounding and venting.
- Diesel Generators - auxiliary power generation, exhaust systems, sea water cooling, snort induction and VEX masts
- Survival, Life Support and Fire-fighting Systems - spray and water mists systems, automatic fire-fighting systems and equipment, abandonment and emergency escape equipment and systems
Your skills and qualifications as a Principal Mechanical Engineer:Essential:
- Executing, evaluating, delivering and managing complex engineering and/or cross functional tasks or programmes of work, recognising stakeholder and customer requirements
- Engineering verification and validation activities
- Providing engineering evidence and assurance to ensure customer requirements have been met
- Contributing to the identification and rapid closure of issues emerging from all product lifecycle stages and to manage the resulting change embodiment activities
- Providing engineering advice and capability to support submarine acceptance, build, test and commissioning activities
Degree level qualification (or equivalent) in relevant STEM subject (Engineering/ Physics/ Maths/ Science)
Demonstrable experience of the development and delivery of mechanical systems across the full engineering lifecycle for the platform mechanical systems listed aboveDesirable:
Chartered Engineer or working towardsWhat we're looking for in you:
You will be self-motivated and have the ability to work unsupervised to meet programme timescales. At the same time, you will have excellent communication skills and be able to work collaboratively with the wider team when required. The ability to proactively problem-solve is key to the success of this role.Location:
Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.BAE Systems
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.Maritime - Submarines
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists. For more information on our Diversity & Inclusion work, please click here.Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.
Find out more at #subsgodeeper on LinkedIn