Engineering Manager - (Communications & Data Network)
Would you like to play a key role in the delivery of complex systems for submarine platforms? We currently have a vacancy for an Engineering Manager at our site in Barrow-in-Furness.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for leading the Internal Communications and Platform Data System (ICPDS) team, who develop and deliver a range of electronics and software-based communication systems for submarine platforms. You will be responsible for resolution of technical issues, as well as ensuring the team delivers to project budget and timescales. You will also be responsible for development and up-skilling of Engineers within your team.
This role will provide you with a wide array of technology exposure, as well as interesting and challenging problem-solving activities. Future career progression could include development into a Senior Engineering Manager position within the Barrow site.Your main responsibilities as an Engineering Manager - (Communications & Data Network) will involve:
Your skills and qualifications as an Engineering Manager - (Communications & Data Network):Essential:
- Leading and managing engineering staff; ensuring each team member is assessed, developed, deployed and skilled to maximise their personal contribution and to meet the requirements of contracts, schedules and specifications
- Ensuring developed solutions are clearly defined, integrated, configured, controlled and delivered, including resolution of conflicts and integration issues that occur through development and delivery phases
- Identifying resource requirements through the lifecycle of the project and managing engineering resource within agreed limits
- Performing appropriate engineering planning, management and review activities to ensure products are integrated, safely, fully compliant and delivered within agreed requirements for cost, quality, time and schedule
- Ensure capability and skills development, performance optimisation and maximisation and efficient use of engineering and functional resources
- Assuring the maturity of the developed solutions is appropriate for the specific requirement and that all technical risks and opportunities are captured
- Reviewing the processes and procedures within the span of control to reduce waste, improve efficiency and establish a dynamic and flexible best in class capability
- Interfacing and influencing internal and external stakeholders (customer and other stakeholders) such that product offerings meet requirements and specifications
- Sign-off for design, legal and technical requirements for a project or service
- Chairing Lifecyle Management (LCM) Design Reviews and/or technical bid reviews for minor projects and provide significant contribution to larger projects
- Engineering background, with the ability to work across and understand multiple disciplines (such as: electronic, electrical, software or mechanical engineering)
- Experience leading a team of engineers
- Good understanding of engineering documentation & complex engineering calculations
- Degree, or equivalent qualification or experience
What we're looking for in you:
- Electronics/electrical/software engineering background
- Technical estimating experience
You will have excellent leadership skills, with the ability to motivate and develop a team to deliver to project goals. You must also be able to approach challenging conversations in a positive manner, when faced with conflicting priorities.Location:
Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.BAE Systems
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries. Maritime - Submarines
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists. For more information on our Diversity & Inclusion work, please click here. Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.
Find out more at #subsgodeeper on LinkedIn