Here at the Coal Authority, we have a fantastic opportunity to join our team as an Engineer. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £31,089.60 - £37,998.40 per annum.
Here at the Coal Authority, we really are a great team to work with. We're united in our passion and commitment to make a better future for people and the environment in mining areas.
We carry out a wide variety of essential services from responding to coal mining hazards, to keeping people and the environment safe from mine water pollution.
We are excited about what our future holds. Our work is helping to develop a new sustainable source of renewable energy for the UK. By harnessing the energy from mine water heat, we hope to play a key role towards helping the UK to meet net-zero emissions by 2050.
We truly are a supportive organisation where we all live and breathe our values. We are inclusive, trusted and progressive in everything that we do.
With a genuine commitment to flexible working, we believe that work-life balance is incredibly important. There are a number of benefits that you'll access being a part of our inclusive team including flexi-time, 27.5 days holiday (with an additional 6 days flexi-time), civil service pension scheme, gym membership contribution, and professional membership.
We offer different ways to work flexibly, and the following types of flexibility are usually possible: job share, flexible hours, working from home for part of the week and compressed hours. Please feel free to talk about what flexibility means to you at your interview.
Our Engineer role:
Within the Engineering team you will be helping to resolve the impacts of mining through the application of your civil engineering skill and experience. Your principal area of work will be in designing environmental interventions in historic coal and metal mine regions and supporting our public safety and subsidence work in the traditional UK coal mining regions.
Working alongside a dynamic team, you'll provide support, and leadership where required, to produce designs and specifications for civil engineering remedial works using the best available techniques to balance safety, cost, quality and sustainability.
You will also be working alongside environmental scientists and project managers to investigate and report on future strategies for environmental improvement.
Main responsibilities of our Engineer:
- Advise Coal Authority Senior Management on Engineering matters for Projects throughout the UK
- Report writing and designing works of Civil Engineering
- Assess factual and interpreted information arising from field observations, investigations, and technical review
- Fulfil the role of Designer under CDM Regulations or in the spirit of CDM Regulations and to provide advice as to whether the regulations apply or whether specialist skills are required to be outsourced
- Develop options and cost implications of proposed works
- Design the remedial works to a standard commensurate with best available techniques not entailing excessive cost
- Draft drawings and schedules of rates or bills of quantities
- Draft specifications and instructions where external specialists are required to undertake design works and manage that process
- Provide detailed specification of works to be carried out
- Supervise projects where specialist consultants have been appointed
- Support the field team and attending field visits and site meetings as and when required
What we're looking for in our Engineer:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Site based experience and is willing to visit remote sites across the UK
- Design and advisory experience in a civil engineering or related field
- Report writing and data analysis skills
- Degree level qualification in Civil Engineering or other suitable engineering field
- Experience in the design and specification of civil and structural engineering works and of CDM regulations
- Experience in a civil engineering or related field
Closing date: Tuesday 22nd June 2021
If you believe you are the right candidate for the role as our Engineer,then please click 'apply' now! We'd love to hear from you.