As a member of the ProspectSoft team, your job first and foremost is to actively play your part in the organisation and help ProspectSoft to achieve its mission, grow its business and increase its profitability - in order to expand its reach & help more customers, as well as to increase the overall wealth and opportunity for employees & stakeholders.
As with any team, the organisation relies upon you to deliver upon the mission, goals and values of your department and your individual role, as well as working well with other departments and colleagues to help them achieve theirs.Departmental Purpose Statement
At ProspectSoft, we're passionate about building software that solves problems. We count on our site reliability engineers (SREs) to empower our users with a rich feature set, high availability, and stellar performance level to pursue their missions. As we expand our customer deployments, we are currently seeking an experienced SRE to deliver insights from massive scale data in real time. Specifically, we are searching for someone who brings fresh ideas, demonstrates a unique and informed viewpoint, and enjoys collaborating with a cross-functional team to develop real-world solutions and positive user experiences at every interaction.Purpose of Role
- Assist DevOps in running the production environment by monitoring availability and taking a holistic view of system health
- Build software and systems to manage platform infrastructure and applications
- Improve reliability, quality, and time-to-market of our suite of software solutions
- Measure and optimize system performance, with an eye toward pushing our capabilities forward, getting ahead of customer needs, and innovating to continually improve
- Assist DevOps with operational support and engineering for multiple distributed software applications
Given the nature of the business and the role, there will be some requirement for working outside of normal business hours. Key Results
ProspectSoft is a results and quality-oriented business. This job description is based on outcomes rather than inputs. This gives the jobholder greater freedom and greater accountability.
1. First and foremost, you must play your part in delivering and exceeding your department's goals, mission and targets; while working with other departments to help them exceed theirs.
2. Furthermore, everyone is expected to contribute to enhancing the departmental and company-wide performance through actively increasing the targets and reviewing & refining the relevant goals, targets, processes and attitudes.
3. Where possible, you should also work to recruit, develop and mentor potential successors for your role, or parts thereof. Developing succession options at every level is key to allowing the business to grow and to offer you promotion and/or a change of role in the future.
4. More Specifically, within your role, you should:
- Achieve Service Level Objects agreed between SRE, DevOps and the CEO
- Create metrics to monitor Service Level Indicators and produce reports to demonstrate compliance and identify risks or areas for improvement
- Deliver incremental improvements to align SLIs with SLOs
Beyond or as part of delivering the Key Results above, you will be required to carry out a number of tasks to aid the effective execution of your role within the wider business. As with any medium-sized and growing organisation, every team member needs to be flexible, be prepared to pitch-in and prepared to take on new tasks and let go of reassigned tasks. The tasks outlined here are not intended to be an exhaustive list of activities but are intended to help you know what your key tasks should be - particularly those that are required for other people/departments to be effective:
- Gather and analyse metrics from both operating systems and applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding
- Measure and analyse user activity to help improve system usage or focus on areas of improvement
- Partner with DevOps team to improve services through rigorous testing and release procedures
- Participate in system design consulting, platform management, and capacity planning
- Create sustainable systems and services through automation and continual improvement
- Balance feature development speed and reliability with well-defined service level objectives
- Supporting the business by providing 3rd line infrastructure support alongside DevOps, in and out of normal working hours.
Given the nature of the business and the role, there will be some requirement for completing some tasks outside of normal business hours. Key Skills
On day 1 you may not have all the key skills, or may not be 100% confident in those skills, and no doubt you will have other skills to bring to the role, but the following are the key skills that you should consider at the outset and actively seek to develop further while you hold this role:
Desired Qualifications / Experience
- Ability to program (structured and OO) with one or more high level languages, such as C# and PowerShell
- Experience with managing services in Microsoft Azure
- A proactive approach to spotting problems, areas for improvement, and performance bottlenecks
- DBA skills and the ability to optimise SQL
A positive and ambitious attitude is more important than specific qualifications, and in a growing organisation not everyone has a wealth of experience, although the following qualifications/experience are desirable:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or other highly technical, scientific discipline
- Previous success in technical engineering
- Coding experience beyond simple scripts
We are looking to fill this position for a starting date ASAP. The successful applicant will be given training on the products that we sell upon joining the company and will receive a competitive salary and bonus scheme. This is an office and home working based role. Please include your full CV with your application.