Help us grow and develop our engineering team. Inspire those around you.
Do you have experience in managing the performance and development of technical staff? Do you have an empathetic leadership style with a focus on coaching each person to help grow their career and skills? We've got an exciting opportunity for you to support a growing team of software engineers, facilitate technical initiatives and utilise your management skills.
As we scale our engineering team, the role of the Engineering Manager is key to our success. We're looking for a people focused technical manager who will help their teams develop and progress in a supportive and collaborative environment.
Who We Are
xDesign is an award-winning digital transformation and software agency, founded in Edinburgh and now expanding our team in Leeds. Some of our clients include FanDuel, Tesco Bank, MoneySuperMarket and Heineken, and as we continue our strong partnerships, we're joining the growing tech hub at Bruntwood's Platform Building.
Reporting to our Head of Engineering, you'll play a pivotal role in helping us scale our offering to new clients in and around the North of England, establishing a new tech team and representing xDesign among the fast-scaling hub of tech startups, scaleups and enterprises.
We pride ourselves on working closely and collaboratively with our clients to craft intuitive user experiences and valuable products across a wide range of industries, technologies, and clients. Our reputation as a partner determined to deliver high-quality, robust and thoughtful end-products has enabled us to scale to over 100 people in the last couple of years, and we are preparing for further growth in 2021.
We are always looking to try new approaches, libraries and architectures to stay on the cutting edge. Our developers work as part of project teams but also regularly collaborate in communities of practice to discuss how we can improve and share knowledge. We also have a structured progression framework to support development plans and career growth for each person within engineering.
Our Team and Our Tech
We care about hiring great people so you'll be working with a team that cares. We support each other with problems, push each other to get better and celebrate success together.
Developers, Testers, Product Owners, Project Managers and Designers all collaborate as equals on projects to make the best product possible. Every day's progress is a communal effort and you'll be a valued member of the team.
We use a variety of technologies to develop our solutions. We utilise standard best practices of pull requests, automated unit/UI testing, build pipelines and care about having a high standard of engineering quality.Responsibilities
- Coaching and supporting the growth of around 8-10 engineers through regular 1-2-1s and ongoing personal development plans
- Driving the technical success of projects. Although you will not be responsible for directly developing features you will have technical oversight of projects and will help developers define technical solutions, push forward technical discussions and ensure everything is on track
- Liaising with clients to discuss their technical vision and supporting our teams in providing the best possible solution
- Working with engineers to facilitate, drive and support technical initiatives across the business
- Being an active part of the engineering management group to collectively tackle challenges encountered, plan resourcing and improve our technical and people management best practices
- Facilitating engineering interviews alongside our senior engineers
- Proven success in managing the technical performance and personal development of engineers using coaching techniques to support their growth
- Experience and enthusiasm to lead, support and develop technical teams towards success in their projects and individual careers
- A strong set of principles focused on your team and their personal performance, achievements and progression
- Content in a technically hands-off role, you'll bring the technical authority to guide and mentor technical teams
- A solid technical background developing either Backend / Frontend / native mobile applications
- Experience overseeing the technical success of mobile projects including working with other non-engineering colleagues (such as Product Owners and Designers)
- Experience facilitating and guiding technical initiatives with cross-functional technical teams
- Variety - the chance to work with a wide range of clients from start-ups to big name brands
- A dynamic and energetic environment (we know how to work hard but have fun at the same time)
- Personal development and progression plans
- 32 days holiday a year (inc Bank Holidays, which incidentally you're free to take whenever you want)
- A Macbook Pro and other top tech to help you
- Regular social events (Covid permitting!)
- A competitive salary
- Flexible parental leave
- YuLife employee benefits
- And lots more!
Please note - this position isn't suitable long-term for remote working, or for people who don't have rights to work in the UK, so we're looking for you to be predominantly based in our Leeds office. We are however currently all working remotely and flexibly in accordance with government guidelines.Think this is for you? Get in touch for a confidential chat about how you can become part of the team.