The Internal Auditor will be responsible for completing a wide-range of internal audits as well as contributing to the Company's SOX Compliance efforts.
Essential Job Functions:
The Internal Auditor will perform internal audits in accordance with professional standards to ensure that internal controls are appropriately designed and operating effectively. The Internal Auditor will support the internal audit and SOX compliance functions in providing an independent assessment and assurance related to the adequacy, effectiveness, and sustainability of controls.
The auditor's primary duties will consist of the following for assigned audits:
• Plan, perform and document internal audits in accordance with the internal audit plan, AmTrust audit methodology and professional standards under the direction of the Internal Audit Management and the Head of Internal Audit (HIA)
• Planning - Performing process walkthroughs to identify the key activities, risks and controls.
• Risk Assessment - Applying risk and control concepts to assess control design and developing a test approach of the key controls.
• Operational Effectiveness Testing -Testing the effectiveness of the key controls identified.
• Documenting - Compiling clear and concise audit work papers and reports with conclusions that are supported by the work performed
• Reporting - Discussing and reporting control design deficiencies and controls not operating as designed
• Issue Tracking - Validating with management in resolution and implementation of corrective action plans
• Be familiar with working within an audit system (e.g. GRC, Archer or equivalent)
• The auditor will also contribute to the performance of our walkthroughs and tests of financial controls to support our in-scope SOX assertions.
• Working with the 2nd Line functions (e.g., ERM, Compliance) as needed
• Perform special / ad hoc projects as deemed necessary including due diligence related to potential business combinations, regulatory investigations etc.
• Maintaining organisational and professional ethical standards and ensuring internal audit activities are carried out in compliance with the Standards, including independence and objectivity
• Working under limited supervision with moderate latitude for initiative and independent judgment
• Auditors may be required to travel up to 25% of the working year, subject to UK government advice/restrictions as a result of COVID-19
• Work with process owners and management during integrated audits to ensure key risks are adequately addressed
Qualifications, Experience, Competence:
• ACA, ACCA, PIIA, CMIIA, CPA or equivalent audit qualification (or be working toward) are preferable.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent with a major in Finance/Accounting or other related field
• Relevant experience as an internal auditor within the general insurance, Lloyd's and/or Big 4 environment
• Good understanding of internal audit methodologies, risk and control frameworks
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrate commitment to the organisation, team and role
• Maintain a high standard of professionalism at all times
• Build and maintain relationships with colleagues
• Be an efficient and effective team member and participate fully to achieve team goals
• Continuously seek improvement to expand knowledge of the insurance and regulatory environment and to achieve higher levels of efficiency
• See the big picture while not missing out important details
• Recognise the importance of order and clarity in the workplace and the presentation of work
• Possess the initiative to work independently and have the confidence to take responsibility for decisions made