Work with us
Photobox is the European market-leader in photo-based products, enabling millions of customers a year to create beautiful gifts for their loved ones.
We are looking for someone to join the engineering team responsible for the editor, which is a highly interactive web-based application where customers can design and customize their photo book or calendar.
Our editor and the services that support it have been rebuilt from scratch over the past two years. It has a React front-end supported by serverless node.js microservices hosted in AWS.
By joining us, you will have the opportunity to help solve a variety of interesting technical challenges. These include helping to build a great user experience for our customers, building a true WYSIWYG creation studio and ensuring our systems are reliable and scale properly to support our seasonal traffic peaks.
What you can expect as a Principal Engineer in the Editor team
Come join a team of experienced and enthusiastic engineers where people are empowered to have an impact and quality is valued.
You will be working on a system where the editor team are the code owners of the entire end-to-end system and are responsible for building, running and evolving it.As a Principal Engineer At Photobox You Will
Our Environment / Tech Stack
- Champion technical quality and hold people accountable for it
- Look for ways to improve processes, systems and architecture to make all engineers happier and more productive
- Have ideas about how to tackle the most complex technical challenges
- Align multiple teams working together on the editor codebase
- Spend time writing production code to gain in-depth knowledge of all parts of the system
- AWS Serverless technologies - SNS, SQS, Lambda, API Gateway, DynamoDB, DocumentDB
- CI/CD with Jenkins, with plans to migrate to github actions
- Cypress end-to-end tests and Jest unit and integration tests
- Agile team processes
Who are you?
We are looking for someone with significant experience in React, ideally working on complex single page apps.
Technology wise, we would love to speak with you if you have previous experience with:
We Are Looking For Is Someone Who Is
- React and Redux
- Experience with full-stack end-to-end web development in any language
- Automated testing, particularly writing unit tests
- Communicative and social - We're a friendly bunch and great communication is the key to our success.
- Dedicated to continual improvement - We want someone who is eager to pick up new skills and willing to try new things.
- Collaborative and helpful - We go much further when we help each other improve whenever and however we can.
- Problem solver at heart - We have loads of interesting challenges in our problem-space which require some creative thinking!
On top of a competitive salary we also offer a great benefits package, including:
- Annual Performance bonus (non contractual)
- 25 days of holiday a year (excluding public holidays) increasing by 1 day each year up to 30 days after 5 years continuous service
- Healthcare, dental and life assurance
- Money Purchase Pension scheme with employer/employee contributions
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- SmartTech scheme (annual purchase through payroll)
- Credits to spend each year on Photobox
- Choice of MacBook/PC
- Mental health and wellbeing support available 24/7
- Referral bonus when you bring your friends to join the team
- Flexible working
- Support for parents through maternity and paternity policies and flexible working
- Working in our spacious offices in the heart of Farringdon (when we return)
- Funded wellbeing - including discounted gyms, yoga and bootcamps in the office
- Coffee machine and fresh fruit in the office
- Games in the office, including table tennis and table football
- Weekly football games
- Regular social events