ABOUT OUR BUSINESS:
J&C Joel, established in 1978 and now run by the sixth generation of Wheelwrights, is now one of the world's leading manufacturers of flame-retardant fabrics and flooring for the entertainment and event industries - providing theatre and stage drapes, cyclorama canvasses, backdrops, bespoke fabric shapes, as well as stage machinery and acoustic solutions.
The company exports to over 80 different countries and have 6 sites around the world, with our head office in our traditional textile mill in the heart of Yorkshire, UK and sites in Romania, Dubai, Vietnam, Macau and Hong Kong.
We are extremely proud to be a British Manufacturer, with our fabrics and flooring, drapes and shapes and stage engineering solutions featuring in projects around the world, from the local Village Hall to the Olympic Village watched by millions.OVERALL ROLE PURPOSE:
The role holder will be responsible for ensuring the production of monthly management accounts and periodic financial reports. Maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records is key, along with a comprehensive set of controls to enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
A key aspect of this role is to ensure that there are effective, streamlined processes between each function, continual development of internal controls, identifying improvements and making efficiencies. KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Preparation of monthly management accounts to agreed timescales, including balance sheet reconciliations;
- Calculate and provide commentary on variances from the budget, reporting significant issues to management;
- Maintain accruals and prepayments schedules;
- Maintain and manage the Capex process;
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system;
- Provide accurate and timely financial reporting (such as margin and departmental reporting);
- Comply with reporting requirements for VAT;
- Co-ordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting, i.e. National Statistic Returns;
- Financial governance - to ensure the organisation's policies are current and are being adhered to;
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls;
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting;
- Assist with the year-end audit;
- Continuous support of Finance team members, processes and procedures;
- Work closely with the Financial Director to ensure the financial systems are fit for purpose, sustainable and that users have correct access rights;
- Any other ad-hoc tasks required by the Finance Director.
- Part of fully qualified Accountant (CIMA/ ACCA)
- Experienced in managing a team effectively
- High proficiency in Excel
- Must be a people person
- Strong teamwork skills essential
- Positive 'can do' attitude
- An appetite to develop or change processes to improve efficiency
- Commercially aware
- Strong organisational skills with attention to detail and a methodical approach.