Motorway is reinventing how cars are bought and sold online. Motorway started in 2017 with a big vision: build a better car market for everyone. Buying or selling cars has always been hard: it's tricky to know if you're getting a good deal, the process is complicated and can end in frustration. Motorway is changing that.
Our mission is to bring the car industry into the 21st century through ground-breaking products and best in class technology. With a few taps, customers can compare instant offers from online car buyers and dealers, select their best offer and sell fast. By removing the traditional steps in between we help everyone get the right deal, quickly. We have helped thousands of people value and sell their car already, and this is just the beginning.
There are so many ways to sell your car, it can be overwhelming. At Motorway, we're focused on building the best way. Unlike your other options, we won't make you choose between price and convenience - you can have both, with no extra effort. We'll guide you through the process to get a great result.
Our mission is to create a market inspired by truth, transparency, and fairness. Our passion and commitment to this drives everything we do, and has helped us build a diverse team with world-class talent across the globe.
Whether it's your first car or your fiftieth, our smart tech and helpful service make everyone a car selling pro. We'll find your best offer from our nationwide network of dealers so you get a great offer from someone you can trust. And because dealers pay a fee to buy your car, when you sell with us, it's always completely free. Sell like a pro. It's the Motorway!
*About the role:*
This role is based in our seven strong product development team where you will develop major features and new products in our roadmap. It's an opportunity to join a fast-growing startup in the early stages, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and change an industry.
We are a small team of experienced entrepreneurs and engineers who are passionate about creating amazing user experiences and profitable, high-scale businesses. Join us and be part of something big. We hire experienced people who are natural collaborators, and place them in small teams with end-to-end responsibility for their respective projects. Providing a fast paced and autonomous environment where people can do their best work is really important to us. As we grow we will continue to look for talented, driven individuals who want to develop by surrounding themselves with a diverse group of outstanding people. If this sounds like you we hope you'll join us!
* Our customer-facing seller website at motorway.co.uk (an isomorphic React app) and our B2B product (pro.motorway.co.uk) as well as internal tools
* Our internal app, Dashboard, where the Motorway team access customer and vehicle data and report on performance
* Our collection of microservices (node.js with Express and Sequelize) that power our user-facing applications through RESTful APIs
This is a varied role, where you'll work on everything from architecting new features to performance optimisation and on apps designed for consumers through to expert users.
* Developing front-end technology, launching new features and optimising performance
* Developing customer-facing code and UI with a focus on usability, performance and progressive enhancement
* Working with our internal APIs to provide read and write data to our backend services
* Working closely with design and product teams to create work that has excellent UX and production values
* Working in our flat-structured development team, and getting involved in the technical and product strategy of the business
* Championing and implementing software development best practices to ensure our code is high quality, well-tested, scalable and secure
* Experience working with version control (we use Git and GitHub), automated testing and continuous integration
* Experience of agile software development practices and working collaboratively in a team environment
* A passion for technology and software, demonstrated by personal projects, blog posts or contributions to open source projects
* BUPA Health Insurance
* £500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons
* Regular Hack days (we've been having them every 6 weeks!)
* Top spec MacBook Pro and peripherals
* Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year
* Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
* Discounted Calm membership
* Pension scheme
* Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
* The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people.
* The chance to work with an experienced and passionate team with a big vision.
* The opportunity to build products that have real impact and will change an industry.
* Video call
* 1st Round Interview (which includes a tech screen during)
* 2nd Round Interview (either with Director of Engineering or Founder)