Protection of Children and Young Persons
Any offers of appointment will be conditional and subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, a certificate of good conduct if applicable, plus receipt of satisfactory employment references, Occupational Health clearance, an understanding of safeguarding and qualifications verification. An Enhanced DBS check is required for this position as you will be working within 'Regulated Activity' within a specific place (ie the College).
Background to the Post
One of the primary functions of the ICT Technical Services sub-team is to secure and maintain over 5000 server and end user devices which are spread over several campuses. It's a fast changing and complex environment, where attention to detail and precision are critical and deadlines are tight.
This role is for an ICT Systems Engineer with good all-round skills to work as part of the ICT Technical Services sub-team, who provide 2nd / 3rd line support on servers and end user devices, as well as the primary team that package and deploy college wide applications, plug-ins, and security patches by remote silent installation. An important part of this role is to ensure common plug-ins are kept up-to-date and security vulnerabilities are patched in a timely fashion.
To provide low level fault finding and troubleshooting of hardware and software problems, to rollout college-wide - system configuration changes, to package applications (some scripting may be required) for remote silent installation and to rollout, monitor, and upgrade server and end user systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
To fault find low level technical issues on Microsoft, VMWare and Apple operating systems.
In liaison with your manager, package applications and develop scripts to install / update applications or change the configuration of the Colleges end user devices and server environments.
To install, maintain, monitor and upgrade server and storage hardware and management tools.
To rollout operating system updates, document system changes, processes and procedures.
On occasions, to work closely with the ICT Network staff in the management and provision of server and end user services delivered over the LAN/WAN.
To work evening duties, when requested, on a rota basis.
To ensure that all support, maintenance tasks and procedures are carried out effectively and efficiently. Where these actions necessitate modification, restriction or complete removal of resources or services available, ensure that users and any others affected are informed.
To maintain a log of all support requests and their outcomes. To monitor the incidence, status and speed of resolution of inquiries and problems as necessary. To escalate any problems as necessary.
Health and Safety
To ensure a safe working environment for colleagues, students, and visitors in line with the HASAW Act and the College Health and Safety Policy.
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults for whom you are responsible and whom you come into contact with.
The list of duties is not exhaustive but outlines the main features of the post at appointment and may vary as the job evolves without affecting the nature of the duties or the responsibility level.
The College offers a generous annual leave entitlement to support staff, commencing with 25 days rising to 28 days after 5 years' service, pro rata per annum plus 8 statutory days (Public & bank Holidays) and College closure days.
Hours of Work
The post holder will be expected to work such hours as are necessary for the proper performance of their duties and responsibilities, normally 37 hours per week. You will be required to work occasional evenings on a rota basis; however flexibility is needed to allow the department to provide cover for evening exams at short notice. Weekend and out of hours working is unusual but may be necessary from time to time.
Place of work
The principal place of work will be the College's premises based at our Leamington Spa Centre. However, the post holder may be required to work on either a temporary or an indefinite basis at any premises at which we may provide services.
Ability to perform the tasks as described in the job description. If you have a disability you should not be discouraged from applying, since there are schemes available within the College which allow for the provision of special aids, premises to be adapted and other appropriate support provided. Ways in which these schemes might help in particular circumstances can be discussed with HR when making your application.
* GCSE Grade C or above in English and Mathematics, or Level 2 equivalent qualification.
* Hold a full UK recognised driving licence and have access to own appropriate transport insured for business use. (Be willing/able to use College provided vehicles where appropriate.)
* A minimum Level 3 qualification in an appropriate ICT subject OR have other appropriate experience and recognised professional IT training and/or qualifications and be willing to obtain further qualifications if deemed appropriate.
* Demonstrable experience as a general 2nd/3rd line IT Support Engineer - working in a busy support department with a large user base, to predefined SLA's.
* Expertise in packaging, repackaging and automating software installations using software packaging technologies as well as using virtualisation systems, in an enterprise environment.
* Experience in WSUS and deploying updates to large numbers of machines in an enterprise environment.
* Experience in the development, testing and maintenance of software packages for remote distribution to end user devices, troubleshooting and resolving issues as they arise.
* Experience in how to Identify and select, by agreement and liaison with users, the best method to deploy each piece of software requested taking into consider any current technical limitations
* Significant experience in using software deployment tools such as Ivanti Automation or SCCM.
* In-depth knowledge of enterprise operating systems with particular emphasis on Windows 10 and Server 2012 or later.
* Ability to use scripting languages such as VBScript, PowerShell or batch scripting to automate tasks within a Microsoft Windows environment.
* Familiar with the principles of configuration and change management.
* A good technical understanding of IP networking and of basic server hardware and storage
* Good working knowledge of VMWare ESX, VMWare Horizon View, Windows Installer technology and MSI databases.
* Experience in end user 'workspace' management (AppSense / Ivanti Workspace Control / Ivanti User Workspace Manager), grade storage solutions (SAN) and in the day-to-day operation and monitoring of an enterprise grade antivirus solution.
* Experience in application virtualisation and the use of Google Workspace / G Suite applications and the management of ChromeOS devices.
* Exposure to MDM solutions and the use of Apple IOS devices.
* A good technical understanding of Apple operating systems and hardware as well as Knowledge of ITIL V4 Framework.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
* Be capable of performing manual handling duties that are appropriate to the role
* Ability to rapidly absorb new technical information and then be able to communicate this information to colleagues where appropriate.
* Demonstrate a systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving as well as excellent interpersonal skills in handling contact with students, staff, and suppliers