Our aim is to reduce pollution and congestion in urban environments. We deliver data and software solutions that make it easier for the public to discover and navigate shared transport options, such as public transport and micromobility. We work with some of the largest tech companies in the world as well as governments to maximize our impact.Working at Ito World
We're a mission driven and diverse team of 80+ people from over 18 countries with a passion for technology and transportation.
We're interested in talented, curious people that share our mission and love data as much as we do.
You should join us if:You value growth
Your work at Ito World will be varied and interesting. Depending on your preferences and strengths, you can grow your career and material progression by developing as a people leader, technical specialist or individual contributor. We don't pigeon hole progression to management roles and career growth conversations happen here regularly.You want to solve interesting problems
Whether you join our People Ops, Engineering, Product, Data Ops or Commercial teams, you will solve interesting problems every day. Our data is used to power millions of journeys across the globe so the problems you will solve are complex, varied and impactful.You care about impact
We work with Google, Apple, Microsoft as well as government organisations such as DfT and TfWM. Your work will therefore impact millions of travellers every day enabling them to choose the most environmentally sustainable transport options, thereby reducing congestion and pollution.You don't do hierarchy
We believe hierarchy and bureaucratic processes stifle innovation and growth. We operate a servant-leadership model where we believe the role of leadership is to empower and support.You want to work with genuinely caring people
We value collaboration, inclusion and respect where every voice is heard.The role
We are looking for an experienced DevOps Team Leadto lead and manage an experienced team of three DevOps engineers.
You will take overall responsibility for planning and managing Ito's cloud-based infrastructure to ensure its resilience and ability to scale to meet the demands of our international expansion. You will be proficient at writing infrastructure as code, working on deployment pipelines and take responsibility for ensuring product release deployments are seamless and automated. You will have line management responsibility for the team, so we're looking for someone that enjoys the challenge of developing, mentoring, building and directing the activities of a high-performing team.
Additionally, you will be responsible for the company's overall IT management, compliance and security plans. You will direct the activities and priorities of Ito's outsourced partner responsible for delivering all of Ito's IT management and support. Relative to your DevOps responsibilities, the time spent directing our outsource partner will be modest, perhaps 10-15% of your time.
The role is based at our Cambridge head office, but Ito World has a flexible and remote working culture and will consider applicants that may prefer to work remotely. What you'll do
Reporting to the Head of Engineering you will be responsible for:
What you need to have
- Production Infrastructure Management - Develop and maintain a large cloud-basedinfrastructure providing real-time services to clients globally. This infrastructure is a large AWS estate covering many technologies, including cloud-native services (Redshift, Kinesis, DocumentDB), serverless technologies (Lambda Functions, API Gateway, DynamoDB and EventBridge), and all the usual underlying networking, compute and security tools (eg. EC2, IAM, RDS, S3). You will be responsible for performance, scaling and resilience of the system following best practice and overall cost control and budgeting.
- DevOps - Write infrastructure as code (we use Terraform), build automated CI/CD pipelines and integrate these systems tightly with the software development processes. You will develop scripts, work with monitoring and logging dashboards, and integrate them into the AWS platform to provide our development teams with the tools they need to fulfill their role. You will advocate AWS best practises to the business and act as the point of reference. You will ensure that teams have access to the systems needed and receive an excellent level of support.
- Task Planning and Management - This will cover sprint management, prioritisation, coordinating and communicating with the wider business, as well as provide longer term plans and initiatives to ensure Ito's systems are world class.
- Develop teams and talent - Lead and supervise the team including hiring, mentoring and professional development. You will foster tighter collaboration between DevOps and Ito's engineering, delivery and office management teams.
- IT Management - Direct the activities of Ito's outsourced IT management and support team. Working through our outsourced partner, you will ensure compliance, IT best practice, security and business continuity. You will be familiar with Information Security Management and Service Continuity best practice and accreditations like Cyber Essentials and ISO27001.
- Support - Provide occasional out-of-hours support on a rota basis with the DevOps Team.
- Significant proven experience of managing a large cloud based infrastructure, preferably AWS
- A passion for infrastructure as code, build pipelines and automation
- Experience of version control and change management systems
- Experience with deployment and automation frameworks such as Terraform
- Suitable scripting experience in Python or similar
- Experience of line managing a technical team during a time of high growth
- Knowledge of data centre management and data governance best practice
- A good understanding of server security and best practises
- Supplier and third party management skills
What you need to be
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- A relevant degree and/or professional qualifications
What is also desirable
- A leader with proven experience of creating an open, collaborative team culture
- Driven to make continuous improvements that support the organisation's growth
- An excellent communicator who is able to work across teams and with people at all levels
- Committed to self-development and a subject-matter expert with the ability to undertake research, make recommendations and deliver against your plans
- A person who is not afraid to tackle difficult situations and provide constructive feedback to help others improve
- Well organised with a logical and methodical approach and a good eye for detail
- Have the ability to multitask, meet tight deadlines and manage changes to workload
What we offer
- Experience with Docker and container based architectures
- Experience of monitoring and alerting systems such as Grafana and OpsGenie
- Linux experience
- Experience in ISO, ITIL and Cyber Essentials or similar accreditation process
- Flexible & remote working to suit all lifestyles and life stages
- Enhanced pension and health insurance after 2 years' service
- Life Assurance
- 25 days + bank holidays as standard
- Flexible Public Holidays - option to swap up to 5 UK public holidays to celebrate the festival of your choice. Choose an alternative day that fits your personal values, beliefs or celebration calendar better
- New parents take a day off to celebrate your child's first birthday
- Enhanced parental leave policy
- Wellbeing and employee assistance programme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free bike repair service for those that commute by bike
- Free breakfast and snacks when working from the office
- Regular team lunches and team socials
At Ito World we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
By submitting this application you agree to Ito World retaining your personal data on a "legitimate interest" basis. For further details see our privacy statement.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/93156508