Did you know, the lowest 10% of earners in the UK make the banks the most money in fees, charges and interest? Here at Wagestream, we believe that is fundamentally wrong - and we are on a mission to change that!
Financial Wellness is a new "ish" term in the software world, but we are having a big impact. We are backed by social impact charities such as Big Society Capital, and the Social Tech Trust, and we are more than just a FinTech... we are on a mission to give people Power over Pay!
There are a lot of software buzzwords that come in and out of fashion, and we don't think Earned Wage Access is one of them, we knowwe are here to stay, not just a fleeting moment in tech history. What's the end game? Easy. Financial Wellness for everyone, everywhere.
About the role:*
You will work on the Applications Engineering team, working to constantly improve the Wagestream experience for both employees (mobile app) and employers (Wagestream portal). We release multiple times per day, so you'll need to be pretty comfortable owning features from concept, to release, to post-release measurement.
Our technology stack is a backend of AWS+Python+Postgres, and a frontend of React.js with styled components, Cordova and some Vue.js thrown in for good measure, but experience with all of those particular technologies is not required, we refer to ourselves as "Tech Agnostic" & choose the best tool for the job. Its a big bonus if you have a proven track-record of shipping web and mobile applications.
* Work with stakeholders to define new features for employees and employers
* Architect, test, and release new features (ideally to a subset of our total audience)
* Work with data science team to analyse effectiveness, and tweak where necessary
* "Push the button" and release your creation into the wild
* Contribute to the broader engineering team (best practices, tools, technologies)
* Be yourself! Be creative, don't be afraid to bring your ideas to the table - you will always be heard!
* You are full-stack (or close to it!)
* You look at the full picture to understand the value and impact of what you are building by talking to customers & working with the product team
* You are the Nancy Drew of data and analysis.
* You thrive on building what users and clients actually need... not just what they want! (sometimes people confuse the two!)
* You believe in team spirit - not competition. What matters is what gets done, not who did it (although you'll get a lot of kudos along the way - we are firm believers of celebrating every win!)
* You'll get kicks out of generating great ideas which will improve the daily lives of everyone who uses our service!
*Skills & Experience:*
* Around 6-8 years, or more, of experience in professional software engineering
* Why 6-8 years...? We are a very autonomous environment, and whilst we will give you all the tools and support that you need to be successful, we need someone with the knowledge of what it takes to operate in that environment, with minimal hand-holding. But hey, if you're under this and you know you've got what it takes - send us a message!
* Adept at least one modern web/mobile framework. This could be React, Angular, Vue... or something else, but ideally you're comfortable switching frameworks and picking the right tool for the job.
* Ideally we would love you to have experience in working within AWS. We are pretty committed users of DynamoDB, SQS, S3, SES, Lambdas, API Gateway, etc
* We're not expecting you to be a graphic designer, but you should have an "eye" for aesthetics and feel comfortable designing some UI/UX yourself
* We will pay you what you're worth. We are fully committed to closing the gender pay gap, promoting diversity and inclusivity, and paying people what they deserve to be paid.
* We're a Remote First business - work from home or our London office - you choose! We have team members everywhere, from Cornwall to Glasgow - we place an emphasis on finding the right people in any location, not any people in the right location.
* We will help you manage your busy lifestyle with flexible working opportunities, most of the team work "core hours" to allow touchpoints with your team, but we also make sure you have the time to pick the kids up at 3pm, or go for that mid-morning run to boost your productivity. We want you to have the best of both worlds.
* We offer 25 days annual leave in addition to public holidays (up to 5 day rollover), as well as flexible time off allowances for any ad-hoc childcare/family/caring needs.
* We offer 12 weeks paid maternity leave and up to 4 weeks paid paternity leave for employees with over 12 months service
* We will support you with your career endeavours. We are committed to internal progression, and offering our team members the best opportunities for growth. We want to invest in you the same way you're going to invest in us!
* Yes... we do have a pension scheme... It's with Aviva... it's not so sexy but it is the law!
* If you love cycling as much as we do, keep yourself physically fit with our Evans Cycles Ride to Work scheme
* And after a long weeks work, join us in undoing it all - with membership to The Wine Society. (They also do gin and beer!)
* We want everyone to achieve "zen mastery" with a free subscription to Calm - work can be stressful (we know!) and we want to help you switch off
* And the best benefit of all... Free access to Wagestream service - naturally!
* Screening call - 30 Minutes
* Technical Screening & Q&A with Hiring Manager - 90 Minutes
* 2 x 45 Min Technical Paired Session with Senior Engineer
* Technical Design Assessment with Senior Directors - 60 Minutes
* Zoom with VP of Engineering - 30 Minutes
* Zoom with Co-Founder/CTO - 30 Minutes