The world is changing at an accelerating rate and understanding the shifting landscapes has never been more critical. Primer* *is the premier artificial-intelligence powered platform that allows humans to get information that they need, instantly, in ways that until now have not been possible. We believe that truth is knowable; our mission is to free the curious to be their most human. We are building machines that can read natural language text documents, understand them, correlate them into events, and share what they learn by writing their own natural language text documents.
At Primer we use machine learning and natural language processing to automate the analysis of very large corpora of unstructured text. We build systems that read documents, extract insights, and write reports comparable to those of a human analyst. Our objective is to help our customers understand the world around them -- from geopolitical events and scientific research to changes in the risk profiles of companies. Our clients include some of the world's largest corporations, financial institutions, and government agencies. You can learn more about Primer's technology and the sort of problems we solve at [our blog](https://blog.primer.ai/), as well as recent [media coverage](https://primer.ai/press) of our work.
We are different because we have to be. Our future world is a different world where Machine Learning will become a cornerstone of humanity. How humans harness this new era is our role - to rethink the old and define the new in creating the end-to-end user experience for our products.
We design every human interaction - from psychological to visual and audible - creating products that are remarkable. Not just beautiful, but intuitive, usable, useful, delightful. The challenge is that there is very little precedent. We are here to define new paradigms where millions of pieces of data can be consumed in just one page, through narrative and data storytelling.
At Primer, everyone likes to get their hands dirty - we are all problem solvers, eager to work together to identify design problems and work out intelligent solutions.
*About the role:*
The Data Visualisation Engineer needs to balance design and development to bring innovative concepts to life. By combining design sensibilities and technical know-how, you'll develop both novel product features and interactive visualisations for external audiences.
As an early member of our growing UK team, you'll work directly with a cross-functional group to define and deliver interfaces that combine exploratory data analysis with explanatory insights. An eye for detail is critical as you iterate on complex interactions, animations and visualisations. Our aim is to leave customers feeling more inspired, engaged and productive.
Some of the things you'll be doing:
* Work with stakeholders, designers and other engineers to build interactive experiences across the entire life cycle from ideation to launch.
* Iterate based on qualitative and quantitative feedback from our users.
* Work with the team to prioritise and champion new ideas.
* Participate in the creation and support of data visualisation standards and best practices.
* Building a deep understanding of our internal data models by querying and transforming analysis results.
* Exploring emerging technologies and recommending their adoption.
*Experiences we like:*
* Experience building responsive user interfaces and data visualisations using application frameworks (e.g. Vue, React) and graphics libraries (e.g D3.js, Three.js, Processing). A portfolio of past projects to talk through would be helpful here.
* A deep understanding of web technologies (e.g. JS, CSS, HTML, SVG, Canvas and WebGL).
* Experience with data transformation and analysis (e.g. using SQL, Python etc).
* An affinity for novel interactive approaches to narrative sequencing.
* Experience building good, collaborative relationships across a cross-functional team.
* Experience working in an agile / lean environment
* Experience building interfaces for AI/ML based software
* Experience with performance optimisation and responsive design to ensure data-driven, visual components that work fluidly across a variety of contexts.
* Robust Frontend Guild
* Cultural and educational events* *(e.g. tech talks, brown bag)
* Team mates that respect each other's expertise
* Technically-minded product managers who understand complex AI
* Rapidly growing company, with opportunities for growth into leadership roles
* Flexible work via remote work and family-friendly environment
* Mental health days
* Work From Home setup allowance
* Healthcare (with Dental) & Pension scheme
* Generous Referral Scheme
* Virtual - using Google Meet: Recruiter (30 mins) & Tech screen (60 mins)
* Take home test
* Onsite session (virtual): Demo (30 mins); Whiteboard - Portfolio (120 mins) & HM (60 mins)