Welcome to Holiday Extras! Holiday Extras is the UK's market leader for travel extras like [airport parking](https://www.holidayextras.com/airport-parking.html), [hotels](https://www.holidayextras.com/airport-hotels.html), [transfers](https://www.holidayextras.com/airport-transfers.html) and more. We promise less hassle, more holiday, and in 2019 we saved more than 1 million travellers £100 each on their holiday extras, supported by our ['never beaten on price'](https://www.holidayextras.com/help/what-is-never-beaten-on-price.html) policy. Holiday Extras is rated 4.1/5 or "great" by more than 11,000 of our customers on Trustpilot. More than 37 years of experience means our customer support is second-to-none. Supported by the popular Holiday Extras app. and innovative HEHA! we offer an unrivalled experience for over 8 million travellers almost every year.
As you can probably tell, we're a fast-moving, innovative travel technology business and we are obsessed with making it easy for customers to make the most of their trip. As well as being the UK market leader in travel extras, we are also proud to work with some of the UK's leading theme-park and theatre brands as their official short break provider.
Our Group CEO, [Matthew Pack](https://www.holidayextras.com/about-us/directors/matthew-pack.html), is committed to the vision of hassle-free travel. Since taking on the role of chief executive in 2009 - then Group CEO in 2015, he has inspired the Holiday Extras team to explore increasingly creative and innovative directions across all areas of the business. Our purpose is to offer customers less (hassle) so they get more (holiday).For more details on our Holiday Extras' purpose, please visit our [purpose page](https://www.holidayextras.co.uk/purpose.html).
*About the role:*
As a Senior Software Engineer at Holiday Extras you will play a key role in solving some of the most exciting and challenging problems the travel industry has right now. The biggest one is how we remove the unnecessary hassle from travelling so our customers can make the most of their precious holiday time - in fact, the whole reason [why we exist.](https://www.holidayextras.com/purpose.html) We believe all the answers lie in creating pioneering tech for our customers. This is where you come in...
We're looking for *Senior Software Engineers**(who love to travel as much as we do!) to drive our move to a microservices and API based architecture.
In this exciting time for travel, we're on a mission to [remake holidaymaking.](https://www.holidayextras.com/about-us/our-strategy.html) So we're on the search for people in a variety of streams to help make this happen - whether you like to see your code directly improving the customer experience on our app, mobile or desktop platforms or you prefer to be shaping the backend architecture, with continuous integration you'll be able to have an impact immediately.
**What's the difference between a Senior and a Software Engineer?* Good question! A Senior will use their extensive programming experience and strong leadership skills to demonstrate a culture of autonomy and responsibility. Take a look at our [Software Engineer](https://www.holidayextras.com/about-us/software-engineer.html) role to see if it's more suited to your level and experience.
* *Intelligent Recommendations*- Creating and developing data models with our data science team to create a super intelligent recommendation engine. Leveraging data we have about our customers, their trips and the travel market to create customer value in HEHA! (our Holiday Extras, Holiday Assistant).
* *Service*- Making it easy for our customers to self-serve on our site and app by providing a first-class chat experience that uses Machine Learning to present fast, automated-responses. Our goal is to have the best chat experience online where customers get their queries answered swiftly and when needed can connect with a member of our service team either via chat or over the phone if required.
* *Supply*- Connecting with our supply partners to deliver the best product, price and availability. We integrate with multiple partners who are at different stages of their tech journey. We're currently building out our best-in-class integration strategy overcoming challenges of storing and presenting millions of prices across multiple product types. Focus is on speed and accuracy.
* *Moving all traffic to our most performant booking platform*- We call it the Trip App; our modern Single Page web application built with React. We are constantly empowering our engineers to use the best and latest tech and coding standards. Trip App has a good use of code-splitting, hooks, redux, great test coverage and more. This gives our customers the most seamless experience and our developers the best possible coding environment to work with.
* Extensive programming experience in either React or NodeJS
* Demonstrated experience building highly scalable distributed web applications
* Experience working as a senior software engineer in a technology business
* Strong leadership capability, demonstrating a culture of autonomy and responsibility - not afraid to make decisions and act quickly
* Examples of a pragmatic approach to software delivery, understanding the pros (and cons) of shipping early and often
* Strong collaboration skills with a range of people and teams - not afraid to challenge (with good intent and approach) to find the best solutions for our customers.
* Experience in influencing at all levels in order to make the best engineering decisions.
* A desire to be onboard and part of our future to transform travel.
* Private medical insurance and health screening
* Life assurance
* Enhanced parental leave
* Cycle-to-work schemes
* Gym memberships
* Onsite fitness classes
* Birthday day off
* Wanderlust benefits
You'll be asked to complete this [tech assessment.](https://github.com/holidayextras/recruitment-tasks)
We'll get back to you within 7 days with feedback and hopefully invite you to a pair programming session and interview where you can meet some of the team (with offices opening you're welcome to do this at our Kent campus).
As with our work, we move fast and make it clear of what's expected at each stage - supporting you all the way.