Sifted is the media platform reporting on the world of technology and startups in Europe, backed by the Financial Times. Two years after launching, we've become known for our high-quality journalism and fresh viewpoints, and a must-read for many founders, investors, and people working in startups across the continent.
We have grown from a standing start to over 500,000 monthly unique visitors, and over 60,000 newsletter subscribers, and have a lively social media following, but there is much more to be done to both grow and consolidate our readership - and ship new products.
Our team in London is expanding rapidly and we're looking for talented people to join. 30 people strong, we're currently hiring 1-2 new people per week and intend to double our engineering team by the end of the year. While HQed in London, we are open to semi-remote applicants - ie. people who could travel in a couple of days per week. During the lockdowns, we have been working fully remotely.
*About the role:*
We are looking for a mid-senior (2+ years of experience) Full Stack or Backend software engineer, with Node or Python experience, to join our small but growing development team. You'll help us improve our existing products and also build new and exciting data-driven products and features.
You should be a T-shaped engineer who is fluent across web development but with key proficiencies and interest working towards the back-end, databases, integration (3rd party or internal). The work will likely be varied as often the products and features are early in inception.
One day you might be working on a new data pipeline and tools for analysts to collect and organise data then another day you might be reconfiguring the CDN or Infrastructure to optimize website performance. An interest in media/publishing is a big plus, and experience with CMSs of some sort highly desirable. If you're unsure if you fit the requirements, apply anyway (we respond to everyone)!
* Commercial experience with (and a desire to use) Node and/or Python
* An understanding of modern Databases, SQL, GIT, and cloud platforms like AWS or others i.e. Heroku, GCP
* Knowledge of agile development methodologies like Kanban or Scrum
* An interest in data engineering and data pipelines
Nice to have:*
* Experience with React, Vue.JS or another declarative front end framework
* Experience with Terraform and Heroku
* Experience with CMSs
* Competitive salary and equity
* Shiny new technical equipment - we're a Mac shop generally, but are open to whatever suits your needs
* £1,000 annual learning budget to spend on technology courses - or anything else that interests you!
* 25 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
* Flexible working hours and (post-lockdown) the option to work from home some days
* Weekly team lunches (virtual for now) and seemingly endless snacks (when in the office)
* Regular team socials... post-lockdown (eg. pub quizzes, dinners, theatre trips)
* 30 minute video call with Stu, our Lead Engineer
* A short take home technical challenge
* A 2 hour final round to discuss your code, introduce you to other members of the dev team and business - like Francesco (PM), Caspar (CEO/Founder), and Faheem + Javi (both Engineers) - and answer any questions you might have