At Freetrade, we believe investing should be open to everyone. It's one of the best ways to grow your savings, but for a lot of people, investing seems complicated, expensive and out of reach. We want to change all that, which is why we're on a mission to get everyone investing!
We're a technology company that brings simple, free stock investing to all. We've built a beautiful investing app to trade in real shares, with zero commissions in a fluid, mobile-first experience. We're not building an app for day-trading. We will never offer things like leveraged derivatives which are proven to lose the majority of customers their money. We're building an app that can offer the means to achieve better, long-term financial outcomes and maybe even help chip away at one of the biggest issues of this generation; financial inequality.
As the first challenger stockbroker to disrupt the £1.2 trillion UK retail investment market, we're poised to expand into Europe in 2021, with a Headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden. Our Series A funding round was led by Draper Esprit and complimented by our summer 2020 crowdfunding round in which we raised £7m. This brings our total funding to £24m so far and we're just getting started. We have also successfully launched various new revenue streams over the past few months, including our premium 'Plus' membership and SIPPs (Self Invested Personal Pensions).
We are on track to double in size from 120 people to 200+ by the end of the year. Our customer numbers are 450,000 and counting, and we are receiving upwards of 4,000 new customer sign ups per day as of January 2021.
Our technology teams, across software engineering and product, are the beating heart of our mission. The teams work in collaborative verticals to build our platform. This means customers can put their savings to work in the global markets via a product and user experience they can trust, which currently enables 50,000 - 100,000 trades per day.
*About the role:*
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to become a key member of our engineering team. You will take responsibility for the end to end delivery of complex features whilst demonstrating a passion for autonomous problem solving and scaling our next generation user-centric product!
* Lead on the end-to-end process for development projects and new features from design → development → post-production including having an aptitude for software validation.
* Collaborate frequently with an emphasis on sharing knowledge through team discussions & workshops whilst developing and mentoring more junior members of the team.
* Set the standards for code reviews across the business and general software engineering best practices.
* Follow and continually improve upon our coding documentation and company development standards.
* Thrive in an on-call environment and be the escalation point for high priority issues with the ability to triage and escalate when necessary.
* Be an excellent judge of future talent for Freetrade helping us achieve our bold expansion objectives by taking part (and sometimes leading) technical interviews ensuring a consistent bar is met.
* Constantly assess the development landscape looking for opportunities to increase efficiencies across the engineering team.
* A stickler for detail with a passion for building reliable software that puts its users first.
* Flexible in tool selection; you're an SME for technologies you are well versed in whilst promoting the idea of using the right tool for the right job and you're confident across our stack.
* You have demonstrable experience in delivering product focused software used by 1000s of people every day.
* Highly proficient within at least one area of engineering with the versatility to understand the wider challenges.
* You spot opportunities for improvements which unblock wider teams / improve delivery capabilities.
We use serverless technologies such as Firestore, Cloud Composer, and Stackdriver, to build a reliable and performant platform. We use the real-time database, cloud functions and other features like pub/sub to provide a frictionless investment platform.
This is a high visibility environment where you will make a direct positive impact on customer experience and the business. If you enjoy broadening your technical skills, building a new product, and working in an environment that thrives on creativity, experimentation, and innovation, then this is the job for you!
* Annual bonus
* Private healthcare
* Private pension
* Freetrade plus account
* SIPP account
* £200 to go into your GIA
* Bonus scheme
* Life assurance
* Cycle to work
* Recruiter phone screen
* HM interview
* Tech tests coding loop/system design
* Exec final
Firebase, GCP, Serverless, Cloud ComputingFirebase, GCP