The word RUKA means "doing hair" and we mean it when we say it - we want to do hair like it has never been done before. Our mission is to create hair and beauty solutions that truly work, by listening closely and making the outsiders our insiders.
We were founded in 2020 on the belief that there needed to be more companies in the hair space that truly understood and served us. We started testing textures with our co-creator community, a phenomenal group of black women dedicated to shaping the future of black hair, and our source of guidance and inspiration.
Every aspect of your journey with us is thoughtfully designed to make you feel like your best self. Bringing science and education to the table, we're creating products that not only look great, but are the best for your hair. Our manufacturing process is chemical free and our partners have been independently verified for ethical working practices.
When we started RUKA, we wanted to create the solution that we had craved for as long as we could remember. A brand that listened, innovated and treated us as a worthy consumer. No one needs to dig that deep to realise that the shopping experience for black women in the hair space is completely flawed. RUKA is here to offer something that's been needed for a long time.
* Become proficient in our current environment - learn and improve how our current systems work together to support the full user journey
* Work on both the front end and back end integrations (of a currently Shopify-hosted store) to deliver a consistently excellent e-commerce experience to RUKA customers
* Work with the COO to shape the digital roadmap and release website improvements onto our website, plus build major features / changes to our technology stack as we scale
* Work closely with our Marketing team to continuously improve conversion and ensure preparedness of our website during campaigns
* Collaborate with our Creative Director to design and maintain a beautiful, elegant shopping experience
* Proactively set up, maintain and troubleshoot integrations and other technologies to optimise our website and create a seamless flow of information as we scale (e.g. between fulfilment systems, social media channels and other marketing analytics)
* Proven track record of building beautiful web experiences which help drive growth for a consumer technology or e-commerce company
* 2-4 years of professional software engineering experience, using HTML, CSS and JS plus some preferred framework (e.g. React, Django, AngularJS, Rails) to build beautiful websites / web applications
* BSc in Computer Science, Engineering or similar technical field of study (and/or equivalent practical experience)
* Experience implementing best practice software development methods (e.g. testable code, code review, clean code, knowledge sharing and DevOps)
* Balancing consumer-centricity, technical feasibility and commercial goals
* Desirable: Led a small software development team at a start-up or another fast-paced environment
* Pension contribution
* Generous equity options
* Personal development grant and allocated time
* Generous maternity, paternity and caregiver leave
* Additional paid sick leave for people who menstruate
* Intro call
* Video call with Founders
* Technical interview