At Made Tech wewant to positively impact the future of the country by using technology to improve society. We work with public sector organisations to modernise technology and accelerate digital delivery so that citizens can benefit from better public services. We're building an open and transparent company across the UK, full of people who are passionate about their work, who always strive to be better, who love to help others grow and who care about using digital and technology to create a better, fairer society.
We focus our efforts on building meaningful, open source services that can help improve citizens' lives. We find this type of work more challenging and more rewarding. Less short-lived, throwaway projects, more mission-critical systems and services. We see the importance and value in self-improvement. We have regular code dojos, show and tells, reviews and other reflective practices we aim to encourage growth. One of the biggest ways we have committed to developing our skills is Learn Tech Fridays.
Learn Tech consists of a number of tracks, where every Friday afternoon the whole company comes together to focus on learning new or developing existing skills. This is a constantly evolving programme and we are working with our team's feedback to keep improving it going forward. We are building a lasting organisation in which our people can grow with the business. We try to think hard about how to best approach every aspect of what we do to create the most enjoyable and productive environment.
*About the role:*
Our Senior Software Engineers are senior contributors to digital, data and technology outcomes that improve society. They do this by delivering and architecting software, and coaching others to do so in public sector organizations, while constantly striving to be nice humans :)
We primarily write and deliver custom software for the public sector. We work across central and local government, as well as in health, and our past lies in the technology startup world. Technical excellence for us isn't about delivering to feature lists. We place a strong emphasis on outcome-based delivery; ensuring our customer's goals are understood and achieved with the technology we deploy.
For us, DevOps is about culture rather than roles and titles. Even though this role is for someone with strong DevOps experience, the biggest impact you will have is coaching and helping teams use the platforms you build. You won't be building infrastructure in isolation or charged with deploying other peoples work into production. You'll empower teams with the mantra: you build it, you run it!
We grow a team of polyglot programmers, which you might already consider yourself to be, who are versed in a mix of paradigms such as object-oriented, functional, declarative, event-based and aspect-oriented. To create this environment our Senior Software Engineers need to embrace sharing their knowledge and skills with others, and they need to keep an open mind - we'd love to hear some examples of mentoring, coaching and growing team members. Maybe you will have written some blog posts about your discipline, or perhaps even delivered a talk or two.
*Our tech stack:*
Our teams have used Ruby with Rails and Sinatra, ES6 with React and Angular 2, C# with .NET Core. We don't limit ourselves as a company and we expect all our Engineers to be keen on learning new technologies. Automation is important to our teams, so we make sure there is a CD pipeline set up to build, test, and release many times per day.High performing software delivery teams need to be empowered to iteratively and rapidly deliver changes all the way through to production. To do this we combine our extensive cloud automation knowledge with DevOps culture.
We've been using AWS from the start and as Advanced Partners are go to experts within the public sector. We use a range of IaaS, PaaS and FaaS depending on the needs of our users, in this case software teams, such as EC2, Lambda, ECS, Kubernetes, Heroku, CloudFoundry, Azure App Services, and more. We use VPC and PrivateLink for connecting to on-premise, legacy systems. We also use API Gateway, S3, CloudFront, SQS, SNS, SES, RDS, and many other services provided by AWS.
We ensure we document our architecture and infrastructure as code, using technologies such as Terraform and OpenAPI. Containerisation is a big part of empowering our teams to develop, deploy and scale their applications, but so too is using AWS Lambda and avoiding the complexity of stateful services altogether. Right tool for the job.
*Experience & Skills:*
While we will look for you to have experience in these things, if you don't have one of these don't let that stop you applying.
* Written code with tests
* Delivered in an agile environment
* Worked with more than one programming language
* Worked with databases
* Worked with APIs
* Debugging experience in a range of systems
* Evidence of self-development - we value keen learners
* Drive to deliver outcomes for users
* Desire to mentor others
* Empathy and people skills
*Optional experience:*Don't forget to mention any of the experience listed below. While it's optional, it's all highly desired!
* Working directly with customers and users
* Working within multidisciplinary teams with product, design, and technology working within the same cycles
* Showcasing and presentation skills
* Agile practices such as Scrum, XP, and/or Kanban
* Pair programming - we pair around 50% of the time
* Writing code with test-driven development
* Component-based design techniques such as using pattern libraries, styled-components, CSS-in-JS, BEM, and/or SUIT CSS
* Debugging infrastructure
* The React ecosystem including a test-driven approach
* Infrastructure as code technology like Terraform and Cloud Formation
* Familiarity with architectural and design patterns
* Use of architectural decision records
* Writing blog posts and giving talks
-Balancing life and work:
* ✈️[Flexible Holiday](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/benefits/flexible_holiday.md)- We trust you to take as much holiday as you need
* [Flexible Parental Leave](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/guides/welfare/parental_leave.md)- We provide flexible parental leave options
* [Remote Working](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/benefits/remote_working.md)- We offer part-time remote working for all our staff
* [Paid counselling](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/guides/welfare/employee_assistance.md)- We offer paid counselling as well as financial and legal advice
* ️[Paid anniversary break](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/benefits/paid_anniversary_break.md)- We celebrate your 3 and 5 year anniversary with us by buying your family a holiday
Making work as fabulous as possible:
* [Work Ready](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/benefits/work_ready.md)- We'll buy you a Macbook, ergonomic equipment, books, conferences, training, and more
* [Learn Tech](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/guides/learning/README.md)- We provide flexible learning time to develop yourself
* ️[Friday Lunches](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/benefits/friday_lunch.md)- We randomly match up 8 colleagues every Friday and pay for lunch
* [Friday Social](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/benefits/friday_drinks.md)- We pay for social drinks on a Friday
Compensating you fairly:
* [Transparent Salary Bands](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/roles/README.md)- We publish salary bands so you know you're being fairly compensated
* [Annual Salary Reviews](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/guides/compensation/salary_reviews.md)- We review your salary on an annual basis
* [Season Ticket Loan](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/benefits/season_ticket_loan.md)- We provide loans to help you pay for your travel
* [Cycle To Work Scheme](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/benefits/cycle_to_work_scheme.md)- We offer the cycle to work scheme to help pay for your bicycle
* [Expenses Paid](https://github.com/madetech/handbook/blob/master/guides/compensation/expenses.md)- Taxi to a meeting? Want to take a customer to lunch? Expenses are no hassle!
* 45 minute chat with Talent team
* 45 minute telephone call with the one of the Engineering team
* 1.5 hour face to face meeting with a pairing session