With the finest writing on current affairs, politics, the arts, books and life, you'll read regular columnists who delight, provoke and amuse and editorial features of incredible breadth and depth.
Established in 1828, The Spectator is the oldest continuously published magazine in the English language. Its taste for controversy, however, remains undiminished. There is no party line to which its writers are bound - originality of thought and elegance of expression are the sole editorial constraints. The result, week after week, is that Britain's best columnists, critics and cartoonists turn out their finest work for the magazine and give you their views unfiltered and at cask strength.
About the role:*
We are looking for an amazing senior developer to join the digital team at The Spectator to work on some of the industry's best digital products.
In the next six months we are taking our web platforms international; refactoring to use NextJS and Vercel, and rebuilding all our business logic as serverless functions. We'll be using a cutting-edge tech stack involving GraphQL and Hasura Cloud (already delivered in our new mobile app).
We also want to continuously improve our products - so you'll be leading on architectural decisions as part of our development team (currently five people, aligned across different products, with a mix of skill and experience).
* Our tech stack is great. We use React, NextJS, GraphQL, REST, Apollo, Hasura and AWS Serverless. So you'll never work on old technologies.
* We make weekly releases to hundreds of thousands of users. So your code sees the light of day quickly
* We have a great team and DevOps practices - good code reviews, weekly tech talks and excellent CI/CD
*Skills & Experience:*
* React & NextJS
* GraphQL and REST Apis
* Github Actions
* AWS Serverless
* AWS Cloudfront&S3
* Visionary - you'll be taking the lead on which technologies we use and how we use them
* Ambitious - a self-starter. You'll be immersed in our products, proud of them, and keen to improve them.
* Able to work fast - we operate in a business of tight deadlines. It's an exciting pace and you'll need to be all over it
* A strong communicator
* Good at managing expectations across a variety of stakeholders
* Well versed in Agile and SCRUM
* BUPA Healthcare
* Westfield dental plan
* Season ticket loan (eligible post probation)
* Generous pension scheme
* 25 days holiday, rising each year by 1 day.
* Invites to all Spectator Events and parties, including our notorious Summer Party(s)
* Up-to-date tech to own as long as you are an employee (nice shiny new MacBook Pro typically)
* Discuss the role on Cord
* Phone call with HR Director and CTO
* [Tech test](https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5d9b7071166f62f5b09ae1a2/604b42871b23e85518c0e225_Coding%20Assignment%20-%20Front%20End%20original.pdf)
* Final interview with development team
React, Typescript, Next, GraphQLReact, Typescript, Next, GraphQL