NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS
0MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To (i) provide origination support and transaction execution service to the London-based Corporate Loan Origination team and (ii) support the head of the Loan Execution team in establishing the centre of excellence for executing primarily Corporate loans. Transactions will include bilateral and syndicated corporate (flow and event) loan financings and some term loan B financings and asset based lending. Opportunity to help shape a newly-created team. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Working closely with the Corporate Loan Origination team, the Relationship Management team, the Single Loan Book team, Portfolio Management and the Legal team, this newly created team will provide execution and documentation support on the type of deals mentioned above, with a focus on ensuring and maintaining MUFG's documentation standards in compliance with internal policies.
- Advise on effective structuring of transactions, demonstrating an in-depth knowledge of corporate structure, guarantee, security, subordination and leakage issues;
- Leading transaction execution service (with involvement from pitch phase to completion) on multiple transactions simultaneously and work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Reviewing documentation at term sheet and credit agreement stages for compliance with MUFG's internal policies and best practice standards, and to confirm alignment with credit approval documentation;
- Developing and maintaining a database which tracks key documentation, market and structuring trends for all syndicated corporate loan transactions which MUFG participates in;
- Providing execution assistance to RMs/Corporate Loan Origination team members in the negotiation of key documentation terms, including contributing on calls and correspondence with external counsel and clients;
- Precise instruction and management of external lawyers;
- Assisting RMs/Corporate Loan Origination team members with preparing and reviewing credit approval materials, including assisting in the completion of risk criteria checklists;
- Ensure consistency within MUFG regarding documentation standards; being the central touch point/centre of excellence for documentation-related internal escalation processes regarding for example, Sanctions and Compliance issues
- Ensuring that RMs/Corporate Loan Origination team members are using the correct and most recent precedent documentation (where applicable) and that record keeping and retention processes meet internal compliance requirements;
- Working closely with Risk (with escalation to Legal where required), to identify legal and documentation process risks with a view to continuously improve the control architecture around documentation;
- Assisting on regulatory change projects and other management initiatives affecting MUFG's Corporate Portfolio, working with the Legal, Risk, Accounting Policy, Tax and Compliance, as appropriate;
- Keeping track and creating awareness of current documentation issues and trends related to Corporate (and leveraged) loans which may cause MUFG credit or franchise concerns, escalating to Senior Management as required
- In conjunction with the Legal team, conduct training sessions for RMs and risk managers on documentation issues in syndicated loan and on recommended best practices in executing transactions.
- Supervise graduates from the Corporate Loan Origination team rotating into the Loan Execution team.
- Support the Head of the team in establishing and implementing procedures for interaction with all stakeholders.
Either (or a combination of):
- Minimum of 3 years' experience as a qualified banking lawyer in a law firm (with secondment experience in-house) or comparable in-house experience; or
- Minimum of 3 years' in a corporate loan transaction management or execution role, with a focus on reviewing and negotiating documentation (in line with the key responsibilities described above)
In each case, with experience driving a balance of (i) commercial awareness of corporate loan origination practices and market standards and (ii) legal documentation negotiation.SKILLS AND EXPERIENCEFunctional / Technical Competencies:
- Ability to spot issues, think outside the box and devise practical and appropriate solutions that meet business objectives.
- Good communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to respond to RMs/Corporate Loan Origination requests in fast paced, deadline driven deals, often requiring same day turnaround.
- Ability to be proactive and anticipate issues with legal documentation.
- Ability to break-up and simplify complex issues and communicate concisely and clearly
- Ability to balance the need for further analysis and the need for timely decisions given commercial pressures.
- Ability to build relationships with internal stakeholders and higher levels of management to inspire confidence of customers/stakeholders.
- Ability to act independently but seek involvement of Head of team and senior management on highly complex issues, unusual situations and matters that may pose significant financial, legal, reputational and/or other risk to MUFG.
Education / Qualifications:
- Excellent technical skills and analytical ability.
- Good work ethic and judgment.
- Attention to detail.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, collegial and responsive team player.
- Able to prioritise, multi-task, and organise.
- High level of integrity and professionalism.
- Willingness to work occasional off-hours (nights, weekends) remotely to respond to emails and requests if needed.
- Preferred proficiency in at least 1 European language other than English (preferably French or German)
- University level qualifications or equivalent
- Economics related or legal qualifications as appropriate
PERFORMANCE AND DUTIES
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
The role holder will be assessed in accordance with their employing entity's performance framework and process with relevant input obtained from the dual hatting entity as relevant.
As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and emended in consultation with the role holder. The role holder will carry out other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the role as requested by their line manager or Department Head.MANAGING CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
- The role holder will have responsibilities for both MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will be required to perform their duties and responsibilities on an entity neutral basis, without favour.
- The role holder is required to follow regulatory requirements applicable to ensure each business is appropriately supported and to maintain the legal entity integrity of each of MUFG Bank and MUS.
- Working terms are dictated by functional mandates, the terms of the Dual-Hat Arrangement Agreement in place between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc and any other relevant agreements entered into between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will have responsibility for identifying and resolving where there may be a difference or conflict in needs between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc, escalating to their manager where required.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.