About The Role
We are recruiting for an exceptional Senior Manager to lead our Tax team. You will be responsible for fostering an effective relationship with HMRC and for assisting the CFO in discharging their responsibilities as Senior Accounting Officer.
You will be part of the wider finance leadership team and help us foster an environment which is empowered, collaborative and focused on delivery and doing the right thing, whilst being willing to challenge the status quo and drive improvements. You'll enjoy working with others to solve complex technical challenges.
You'll take responsibility for the following areas:
- Calculating tax charges on a monthly/quarterly basis for the group and subsidiaries and communicating the outputs to internal stakeholders;
- Managing Interim and Year end tax provisioning and disclosure including liaison with External Auditors;
- Corporation tax compliance including managing quarterly payments;
- VAT Compliance and returns;
- Managing R&D claims;
- Identifying potential improvements to the Society's tax compliance and value adding opportunities within the Society's low risk appetite;
- Managing compliance with SAO regime;
- Managing external advisors to ensure the Society receives value for money advice and support as needed
- Horizon scanning and keeping abreast of market and industry developments;
- Being the Tax Subject Matter Expert in business as usual and new transactions, engaging advisers as needed to cover all taxes in scope for the Society;
- Developing and leading the tax team.
The Society's Tax Strategy is based on an ethical and straightforward approach to managing tax as set out here: https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/content/cbs/consumer/en/our-performance/corporate-governance/tax-strategy.htmlAbout You
You'll be ACA qualified or hold an equivalent qualification, CTA is desirable but not essential and you'll have substantial experience of Tax Compliance in a Financial Services environment .
You'll also have and be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Curious / Inquisitive (Empowered)
- Wants to understand how the tax role and activity fits and adds value in context of wider Finance and the Society as a whole
- Ambitious / Ready to challenge the status quo
- Continually looking for opportunities to develop both themselves and their team.
- Looks to step outside the confines of their role in support of colleagues and the Society.
- Collaborative / Constructive (Straightforward)
- Works with colleagues across the business to deliver great outcomes
- Engages honestly and constructively
- Cultivate an environment of collaboration, innovation and sharing of ideas
- Responsible and Care about delivery and doing the right thing
- Getting things done
- Getting things right
- Doing things the right way
- Planning and organising
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Ability to translate complex analysis into digestible insight and clear recommendations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
If you feel you have the right experience and skills and want to make a positive contribution to the continued success of the Coventry then please apply today. About The Company
Coventry Building Society has grown into the second largest building society in the UK. We're a national society, with local values and loyalty, and a caring family ethos.
The best way to judge a company is based on what the people who work there say. Our recent employee survey rated us Number 2 in the Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For list. We offer not only fulfilling jobs and exciting career opportunities but a place where everyone can be long and feel proud to work. What makes us such a rich and progressive place to work is the huge variety of people that make up our workforce.
We're looking for positive, proactive people who really believe in the values of a mutual building society, owned by its members. We want someone who knows they've got something special to contribute and is passionate about being part of what we do.
As an employee, we encourage you to take control of your career. We invest in our people, with regular opportunities for training and development